3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am looking to heavily enhance my stock cooling system and was wondering about radiator hoses. My questions about the radiator hoses was sparked when someone mentioned on clubgp that the radiator hose actually radiates heat, warming any solid aftermarket CAI box. Because of this, I started looking around for some sort of aluminum wrap to prevent this from happening.

Well, while searching for a wrap for a radiator hose I came across a new aftermarket hose that claims to disperse coolant heat better and "Drops engine temperature". www.coolflex.com It is the only product I have seen that does as I am looking for.

My questions is basically, has anyone used this product before? Or has seen this product being used with beneficial results? Does it work as said? Is there any other similar product out on the market?

I myself atleast think that this would lower engine bay temperatures and prevent radiant heat from warming the CAI box, but what about the other claims? Can this really drop engine temperature? Would it help improve the cooling system?

I am looking into an enhanced cooling setup, as I will be loooking to make a super rod into an everyday driver for 150,000+ miles. The following is what I am looking at currently
-160 Tstat
-Oversizeed Aluminum Radiator
-High Flow Fan Kit
-Eletric Waterpump
-Water to Air Intercooler
-WizAir CAI w/box
-Throttle Body Space
-Throttle Body Exhaust Shield
-3" Full Exhaust & Headers w/ Heat Coating
-Valve Cover Breather
-Optimal Sparkplugs
-Aluminum Wire Covers
-Whipple/MP112 Supercharger (runs much cooler then M90)
-Ventelated Aluminum Engine Cover
-Bodykit w/ Improved Airflow

As of now I think I am getting this, unless someone has information that would suggest otherwise. I think it will help compliment my enhanced cooling system, reduce engine bay temperatures, and enhance the effect of my CAI. I am not certian though, and dont know how it will effect other setups. If it works im getting it, but if not I am looking for another product to obtain desired results. Anyone with suggestions or knowledge on this stuff please step in :)

Again, www.coolflex.com

(p.s. anyone know where I can find something like a mesh aluminum wrap. I am still on the search for something like this, possibly to couple.)

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I think it will do just the opposite of what you want. That hose will radiate more heat into the engine compartment, not less, which is why they advertise it to lower engine temps, it rids itself of heat faster, thereby dumping it into the engine compartment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm. If this is so then how much do you think it would compliment an oversize aluminum radiator, high flow fans, and an aletrical waterpump? I do want to lower the radiated heat from the hose, mainly for the CAI box, but I would be willing to compromise if thise hose could have good enough effect when coupled with an enhanced cooling system as mentioned.

Now, having said that. If it does radiat heat, does anyoner know of some sort of mesh-like aluminum wrap that I could put around my radiator hoses? I do want to take any precationary method possible to lower my engine bay and CAI box tamperature. If this advertised hose radiates heat outwards then I will likely be using some aluminum wrap and some form of metal/rubber heat buffer on the outside of the CAI box. Any suggestions there?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
187 Posts
Aluminum is a conductor it will draw heat out of the hose. And disapate it normally to air. I think your WAY overboard on this cooling thing. Steve drives his s3'd car from alabama to florida every other week. He hasn't had any overheating problems other than the fact his electric pump didn't work well with a stock rad. It's not gonna be that bad the car with the oversided rad will be able to handle florida heat. I can keep mine at 175ish in alabama summers so I would guess you'll be at 180-185ish with the same setup.

·
Registered
105 Posts
spd98 said:
Aluminum is a conductor it will draw heat out of the hose. And disapate it normally to air. I think your WAY overboard on this cooling thing. Steve drives his s3'd car from alabama to florida every other week. He hasn't had any overheating problems other than the fact his electric pump didn't work well with a stock rad. It's not gonna be that bad the car with the oversided rad will be able to handle florida heat. I can keep mine at 175ish in alabama summers so I would guess you'll be at 180-185ish with the same setup.
no joke, our cooling systems are more than adequate, worry about real performance than money wasters that wont give you ANY performance.

Mat

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
come on now... its not all about performance. I care a lot about reliability and optimization. Again, I havent started my car project yet, but when I do, cooling and tuning will be equally as important as power gaining performance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
covert420 said:
come on now... its not all about performance. I care a lot about reliability and optimization. Again, I havent started my car project yet, but when I do, cooling and tuning will be equally as important as power gaining performance.
your not going to gain an ounce of reliability from cooling mods, in fact, with the mods your planning i dont see how you could be hoping for ANY figment of reliability. Between using a different power adder, different cam, ported heads, your not going to have ANYTHING for reliability. Performance heads will limit reliability due to the increased wear on parts, as well as the stresses caused by heavy springs.

Performance and reliability are complete inverses, if your going for all out performance, your going to have minimal reliability, if it was any other way, GM would have given us 600hp from the factory.

If you want RELIABLE performance, go for stock cam and heads, rockers, and a intercooler and tiny pulley. Thats about the best balance between reliability and performance.

Mat

·
Registered
187 Posts
FastGS88 said:
no joke, our cooling systems are more than adequate, worry about real performance than money wasters that wont give you ANY performance.

Mat
Well a cooler car only helps to a certain point and then you'll start getting yourself into problems with your car not getting into the proper operating temp. then you'll have INCREASED engine wear and you effecency will go to crap and your MPG will drop.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't think I'd be so worried about the radiator hose giving off much heat, theres a ton of other things that contribute significantly more to underhood heat, especially around the CAI box. The radiator hose can't possibly be more than maybe 200 degrees during normal flow (ie thermostat's been open for a couple sec.s, you figure the front exhaust manfold flowing through the crossover pipe would be significantly hotter than that (ever seen pics of them glowing red after a hard run??) even with a thermal wrap on them. Realistically, even if you took care of all of that stuff, even the block and heads are radiating a certain amount of heat, and the engine bay will still be incredibly hot. For the slight performance gain you'd get by going all hog wild on the cooling system for lower IAT, you could've easily gained that power elsewhere, and probably for cheaper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts