• Wait and see what future oil tests tell

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Monte Carlo Intimidator SS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. New to the form here and just looking for some opinions.

Last year, I picked up a 2004 Intimidator SS with 82k miles. This is my fourth 3800 but my first L67 (not counting one i bought to part out.) About a month after I got it, I noticed a very slight ticking noise, mostly on engine decel below 1500RPM. I was originally able to hear it at idle too. I changed the oil and put in 4qts of Schaeffer's 9000 5w30 and a pint of their Moly Oil additive. The noise went away at idle but is still slightly there in a rev decel.
I sent the oil that was in the car out to be tested. I have no idea what was in it. Guessing either Pennsoil or something cheap because it was changed at the Dodge/Ram dealer I bought it from. The oil tested good but had 46ppm copper in it. This is typically a sign of bearing wear.

The car runs great and i have accumulated quite a few ZZP parts for it that aren't installed yet. My gameplan was just basically just send it and see what happens. I also plan to continue testing the oil and see if copper remains consistent or if the numbers raise/fall.

Im just wondering what your experiences have been with this kinda thing. Should I be looking for an engine to put in the garage just in case or do we think itll be fine? I have had one bone stock L26 unexpectedly come apart on me in the past.

My goal with the car is to get into the 13s and just use it as a fun daily. If anyone is curious, I've already got a ZZP Intake, power logs, both a 3" downpipe and an equalizer to interchange if i feel the need, autolite 103s, ZZP 3" catback, 180* Tstat, 3.5 pulley, and a ZZP 1.0 PCM. The only things currently installed are the ZZP Cold Air and the PCM.

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi & welcome!

I've never had an oil analysis done so I can't speak from personal experience. Copper in your oil can be a sign of bearing wear or even a sign of coolant entering your oil, however before panic sets in there are some motor oils that use copper as an anti-wear agent. As long as it doesn't get any worse I would wait to get your oil analyzed again. Have you tried tracing the source of the ticking sound...like is it coming from the top end or bottom end? Lifter issues seem fairly common on these. I know mine make some noise on a cold start after sitting for a long time. Could also be a small exhaust leak.

Here's a couple good reads

1 - 2 of 2 Posts