3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Paxton NOVI 1000. I live in jersey so the temps here in the winter can get pretty low. According to Paxton's owners manual it states:

"Never operate your engine at full throttle when the engine is cold. When starting the engine each day, allow plenty of time for the oil to reach full operating temperature before running above 2,500 RPM. Full supercharger operating temperature is generally achieved after the engine water temperature has been at the normal operating range for two or three minutes."

IMPORTANT COLD WEATHER INFORMATION:

"In order to achieve the low noise level of Paxton superchargers, Paxton specifies precise manufacturing procedures that call for minimal internal clearances. These precise tolerances, however, are not conductive to temperatures below 25' F. Therefore, storing the vehicle in a heated garage and/or employing the use of an engine block heater/aftermarket engine blanket is required when the vehicle is subjected to a 'cold startup' in ambient temperatures below 25' F. Failure to comply with this may result in immediate supercharger failure and invalidate the supercharger warranty."

Does anyone use any type of engine heater in these type of conditions? I spoke with Matt and he said they have not had any problems in the cold weather. What do you guys think? Or are you all in freaking cali? ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is only 2people in Cali that have CSCs (as far as I know). [;)] Most of the guys other CSC owners are in the NE region and don't seem to complain about the cold weather.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick. I hope some of them will chime in. ;) ;) ;) :D

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
k0bun said:
" Therefore, storing the vehicle in a heated garage and/or employing the use of an engine block heater/aftermarket engine blanket is required when the vehicle is subjected to a 'cold startup' in ambient temperatures below 25' F. Failure to comply with this may result in immediate supercharger failure and invalidate the supercharger warranty."

Does anyone use any type of engine heater in these type of conditions? I spoke with Matt and he said they have not had any problems in the cold weather. What do you guys think? Or are you all in freaking cali? ;)

Thanks
Frank,

I dont personally have ANY knowledge of the Paxton SC like you have, but I do have much experience with the cold.

There's nothing worse on an engine than an extremely cold start. A block heater allows the circulation of warm (heated) coolant throughout the cooling system (except the SC of course), hence allowing easier starts in extreme cold, and reducing engine stress caused by extremely cold parts expanding rapidly. Not to mention, it heats the oil in certain areas and allows it to flow more easier and FASTER to its much needed areas.

If you HAVE to drive in extremely cold conditions, and have a block heater, i'd definitely use it as it can only help that POOR engine on those wicked days.

Personally, I dont even put the car into drive until I see that temperature gauge move into the "low" side of the scale. And even then, I dont push it at all until it's up to full operating temp. The car will thank you in the end.

On an interesting/funny note, I spoke to a buddy of mine in Ontario today, where they were experiencing a horrible cold snap. His 89' Ford Bronco (yeah, I know, it's a Ford, but just the same) was parked outside one night during the cold snap. No block heater used, he started it up and had NO oil pressure, and of course the engine sounded like it was going to fly apart. Come to find out, with the extremely cold temps, the oil in the pan became SO thick, the oil pump couldn't pump it and, actually sheared the shaft in the oil pump, and the whole upper part of the engine was running with NO oil pressure.

Just a story of interest to note how the cold can kill us and our rides. BTW, the temp at the time was about 4* F (-40*C). :p

As the Glade Air Freshener slogan goes,,,,,,,,,"Plug it in, Plug it in".

TTYL.

Ross :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ross. Since I've posted this thread I have started my car in low teen temps. No problems so far. I use 5w30 synthetic and I don't put the car in drive until it is up or close to operating temp. I've had a chance to speak with the other sc users and most do not have any problems in the cold. They do however let the car warm up considerably before driving. If and when the temp does ever reach the low single digits. I may consider taking my back up pos. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that's pretty much it. But I'll keep an eye on it anyway.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts