3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can another explain to me how you take off the old valve springs and replace them with new ones, or at least provide a link that explains how to do it

·
Registered
409 Posts
you can use these rocker install directions to get to the rockers
http://cncgp.clubgp.com/performance/rockerinstall.html

what i did was get a spring compressor (the pry bar looking kind)

then get an attatchment for an air compressor that will screw into your spark plug hole

and a magnet stick

then i removed my rocker arms

screw the air compressor thing into the block and fill up the cylinder with air to keep the valve from dropping

take the spring compressor and screw one of the old rocker bolts threw the spring compressor and press down on the spring

grab the keepers (you may need the magnet at this point.. be very carful not to drop them lil buggers)

be very carul to press the spring at a right angle so you dont hit the valve stem and drop a valve

pull the spring compressor off and yank the spring and retainer off... then put the new one on and do it all in reverse.

hope i didnt forget anything

good luck

·
Registered
467 Posts
I made a spring compressor with a pry bar, worked like a charm. I drilled a channel into the short side of the claw for the rocker bolt to go through, and opened up the front enough to access the keepers. I did drop a valve, When I made my handy dandy tool, I unplugged my compressor, and forgot about it. Big oops, it took me 3 1/2 hours to get the valve back through the guide. Fortunately it was on the front bank. What I did was remove the Ex. manni, Take off the retainer and keeper on the Ex valve. Put a o-ring in the ex valve keeper groove to hold it from dropping, but give me enough room to drop a snake light into the cylinder. I bent a long screwdriver to move the valve around by putting it in through the spark plug hole, while veiwing it through the valve guide. At the same time I had a wrench on the harmonic balancer moving the crank to bring the cylider up. It wasn't easy, since you want it to come up perfect as to not bend the valve or gouge the guide if it were to bind. When I got done, I thought I'd be a good surgeon. If it happened on the rear bank, I prolly would have had to pull the head. Don't for get to swap the guide seals while you're in there, mine were toast at 80K miles.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yeah dont loose or drop the Keeps in teh engine either. It wodul really suck to have to take the heads off just for that small of an object. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
instead of using a compressor, cant you just manually rotate the engine so that the cylinder that your working on is at top dead center? will that keep you from dropping a valve?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yes but it will still drop too far and you will be screwed. Its best to get the air tool and do it that way.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Merc said:
Yes but it will still drop too far and you will be screwed. Its best to get the air tool and do it that way.
If it is at TDC, it won't fall all the way thru. However, it will fall down somewhat, so I think it will be a real PITA to get the spring/keepers on there, with the valve that low.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can someone direct me to a link that has step by step detail on how to install valve springs, instructions with pictures would be great

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
JasonGS said:
If it is at TDC, it won't fall all the way thru. However, it will fall down somewhat, so I think it will be a real PITA to get the spring/keepers on there, with the valve that low.
That is what im saying. Its not going to fall always way out of the valve guide with it at TDC but it will fall enough to where you cant get it back together without taking the head off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
also would using comp cams 90# springs be better or just as good as the ls6 springs, if im going to get 1.9 Gen 3 rockers

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would just get the LS6 springs, I believe they are cheaper. ;) However, for SOME 97 and early-98 heads, the LS6 springs don't seem to fit on them. I'm not sure what year your car is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would just get the LS6 springs, I believe they are cheaper. However, for SOME 97 and early-98 heads, the LS6 springs don't seem to fit on them. I'm not sure what year your car is.
Do you know if the comp cams valve springs will fit on the old heads?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you can get the comp cams for the same price as the Ls6 springs, but i think GMPD might have the springs for 70 bucks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Merc said:
That is what im saying. Its not going to fall always way out of the valve guide with it at TDC but it will fall enough to where you cant get it back together without taking the head off.
I just recently changed my valvesprings by only putting the cylinder at TDC. I had a air hold, but my headers(RWD) did not have room to fit the air hose. The valve would only drop about a half inch and worked fine for me. This was on an L36, so the valve might drop more in on an L67 engine. Even with the air hold, u should put the cylindar at TDC just so u dont have to worry about dropping a valve. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts