3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Intense guys,

About four months ago I installed Gen III 1.9's with OR pushrods. At the time, I didn't notice anything on the Intense site about stiffer valvesprings being necessary, but now I see that they are recommended. I still have stock springs with 36,000 on the engine.

I haven't experienced any symptoms of valve float at all, including over 8 or 9 quarter mile passes trapping >102. I have the DHP PCM so the shift points are increased.

My question is, why the change in recommendations? If it's because of people complaining about valve float, I can live with that and deal with it if it happens. But I don't want a catastrophic failure, and it's not that big a deal to go back in and change the springs if I really need to. I'm very happy with the product, and I'm asking in the public forum because I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

·
Registered
238 Posts
most likely people did have problems, and it appears that new springs are strongly recommanded, you may not have noticed anything now because your miles are low, but as time goes on you will continue to add stress on springs that were not meant for a 1.9 ratio

·
Registered
409 Posts
I ran 1.9 gen 1 rockers for a year and a half with no issues at all.... my car had 60k on it then

the cost of the springs isnt very much for the peice of mind though... i was always worried i was going to run into problems

·
Vendor
260 Posts
Bill, to my knowledge, guys with raised shift points were experiencing problems with valve float. In your case you might be skirting by with the OR pushrods as they prevent the lifter from bleeding off pressure as quickly as it otherwise would and alleviate some valve float.

I ran 1.9 gen 1 rockers for a year and a half with no issues at all.... my car had 60k on it then
The Gen I rockers generally did not experience the same valve float issues that the newer rockers experience.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Valve Float

Bill - be very careful - that is the setup that I had - 1.9 rockers with stock springs. I had that set up in my 98 GTP and it ran like a champ. I sold that car and swapped all my performance stuff to my 2000 GTP - At first I really did not have any problems - then it started, mostly valve float. Against the advice of Scott @ Intense - I tried a bunch of other things but then had to break down and pay for the springs then to have them installed. (I paid to have them installed because there is night and day difference getting that rear valve cover off from a 98 to a 2000). Anyway, to make a long story - well, less long - I am rebuilding my engine. I turly believe if I would have listened to the advice of Intense and Scott - I would not be rebuilding my engine right now. Actually - I am glad I am - I am going to have a sleeper - but the wife won't let me hear the end of it because of the money that is going into that engine!!

Good luck,
Blessings,
Rick

·
Registered
187 Posts
The rear cover is easy. Just loosen the WP bracket a little and pull the alternator then you can slip the cover out.

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
Mike Kopstain said:
Bill, to my knowledge, guys with raised shift points were experiencing problems with valve float. In your case you might be skirting by with the OR pushrods as they prevent the lifter from bleeding off pressure as quickly as it otherwise would and alleviate some valve float.
This is very true. Those with rockers and an otherwise stock valvetrain have been reporting valvefloat. With your OR rods your helping keep the lifters pumped but I would still recommend the stronger springs. I'm not sure what the DHP has you shifting at but I was getting valve float with just the 1.9's and an INTENSE pcm shifting at about 6grand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts