3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was think about putting the GTP supercharger on my Grand Prix GT, how much of a pain would it be if i did? Would it work? What would i have to change?
Ciegi
Btw: its a 2001 Grand Prix GT

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Well keeping in mind that the ZZP "kit" is not out yet. To "swap" over you would need the following parts.

L67 Heads
L67 Lower Intake
L67 Harmonic Dampner
M90
L67 Throttle Body
L67 MAP sensor
L67 MAP sensor wiring Adapter
L67 Boost Bypass Valve
L67 BBV wiring kit
L67 Idler pulley and stand off
L67 Coil Pack mount with idler
L67 SC Tensioner
Custom PCM from DHP or Intense

I probably forgot a few things as this is just a 'quick list', you will also need all the applicable bolts and gaskets

It "will work" but keep in mind that KR will be a night mare even on a stock pulley unless you have/or do quite a few other "KR Reducing" type mods. That being valvetrain/head work, exhaust mods, intercooler, etc

·
Registered
93 Posts
agreed with what lee said.... you'll need to have some mods if you're looking to eliminate KR.

Lee, is a good contact if you go this route, he did.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Your incorrect on that Brian, I did a full L67 swap including a -HD trans. But most of the rest of the stuff is the same. Just some slight changes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
From what I've heard from others who have done the conversion, it's not worth the time, money, and effort. You are talking about an M90 on an L36, right? An L67 swap might be a "little" easier, but you can get a lot of power NA. Just ask some of the others on the forum. If you're dead set on forced induction, I'd say go with a CSC kit or a turbo. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thats interesting... A local member just did this swap, he had a set of heads ported, tossed in an Stage 2 cam, and threw on the rest of the L67 top half along with an intercooler, sounds like 12 second power to me..... But I guess it isn't worth it...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Maybe it is easier than they said. I was taking second, maybe even third party opinions. I should keep my mouth shut unless I have proof I guess. :D But hey if you got the time and the cash anything is possible. If it is that easy, I say go for it. Good luck

This is from THRASHER's website.

1. Can I bolt a blower on my normally aspirated L36 GT and convert my GT to a GTP?
Can I bolt a blower on my 3800 F car?

No. You cannot simply bolt on an Eaton M90 blower onto a L36 and make it work. Most importantly, the heads are different. The fuel injectors on a L67 are placed into the heads, while on a L36, they go into the intake manifold. While the supercharged L67 heads and the L36 normally aspirated heads were identical in 97-98, the injector bosses are not machined out to accept the injectors. In '99 and newer, the L36 heads went to a different casting, and these injector bosses no longer exist

Other differences between the L67 and L36 engine are the pistons and rods. The pistons are stronger on the L67 (but obviously not strong enough for our 370 HP engine! Click here to check out the damage a piston can do when it shatters during a run!), and height is different, making the L36 have a 9.5:1 compression ratio vs. 8.5:1 on the L67. This means even if you could get the lighter rods and pistons to live under boost, you wouldn't be able to run nearly as much. The cam, crank and block are the same, but the cam gear is different to allow the cam to be installed advanced in the L67.

The differences in the transmission are noted in the answers below. As for the F car, besides changing the heads and lower engine internals, the installation of the blower will probably require an Australian blower housing which has a tight radius bend at the throttle body end to allow clearance for the firewall. Same M90 blower, just in a different housing. For photos of this Australian unit, check out our Commodore Holdens page here.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Some of the information you quoted off of TEP's site is incorrect. People can run that high of a compression wihtout a problem (intercooled....), also, L36 compression is 9.4:1, among other things.

Is the process "cheap", no not really
Is it worth it? Depends on your opinion....
But frankly it isn't that hard to do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
GP_Pimp said:
Some of the information you quoted off of TEP's site is incorrect. People can run that high of a compression wihtout a problem (intercooled....), also, L36 compression is 9.4:1, among other things.
Is the process "cheap", no not really
Is it worth it? Depends on your opinion....
But frankly it isn't that hard to do.
It's actually pretty cheap... cheaper than swapping, if you can find an M90 for free. Check out this thread on mymonte.com. Someone "converted" their L36... and it WASN'T easy.

http://www.mymonte.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=13&MessageID=191424

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well when I was looking to start modding my L36 the first thing I wanted was a SC. THRASHER was the first company I contacted because I didn't know much about these cars or engines yet, and that is the link they directed me to. So being a rookie to the 3800 scene I of course took their word for it. Those bastards! :D Anyway it's all good for me because I eventually found ZZP and INTENSE. So I went with a CSC and some other goodies. I'm happy :) .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GP_Pimp said:
Just some slight changes.
DANG! sounds like its not worth it :( "Thought" it might be a little easier than that, but wow!! :eek: Thanks for the advice guys now i'll have to look at a diff. route.... :confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
just buy a procharger supercharger and intercooler...boom, you're sc'd!

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you want forced induction get a PAXTON NOVI 1000/2000 from STATTAMA/ZZP or a turbo from PFYC. Those are really your only two "easy" options. Anything else will require a lot of custom work. An L67 swap is a possibility however the above two will probably be easier.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If you've got the cash, the CSC kits are an awesome option. And Stattama is selling a used Novi 1000 kit on their site, and I know of a Novi 2000 kit that is being sold on MNCGP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel really stupid on not knowing some of this. Even if i did get these kits no one around here (iowa) that i know of would install it and be good at it. I might just have to make a special trip to the INTENSE shop and have a word w/ Scott... *cough* if hes still alive ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can't offer advice about any of the turbo kits, but the csc kits are not all that difficult. It took me and my dad about a day to do the install(12hrs.). It comes with fairly detailed instructions. I would advise getting another pair of hands to help, regardless of automotive skill or ability, and give yourself at least two days to be without a car. Just in case their are any problems. I always leave myself an extra day than what is called for. Keep in mind though that the more power your engine produces the stronger your trans needs to be. Especially our non-HD 4t65's. But then of course there is always INTENSE. I don't know if you have any mods on your car already, but the stage 1 kit will be a little easier to install since you don't have to replace the pcm, injectors/connectors, or fuel rail. You should also be able to get away with not upgrading your stock tranny, assuming you don't do neutral drops or burnouts all the time. :D I would contact Stattama with your list of mods to see if you can use a stage 1 or if you have to upgrade to a 2. And of course I'm sure your fellow 3800 enthusiests will be more than happy to offer any advice or help if we can. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As of right now the car is totally stock, havent touched the motor at all. But i dont really plan on making this a race car... maybe later on, right now im just trying to make it faster than stock, but it sounds like a lot more work than i thought :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
The best thing for you is to contact Stattama and explain your scenario. Like I mentioned before though a stage 1 csc will probably be the "easiest" of the kits to install. You can keep your stock pcm, injectors, fuel rails. That will save you some install time and frustration. ;) The kit really isn't all that hard to install, relatively speaking. Later on if you decide to upgrade you will have to purchase all of the above items. You will also need a custom pcm and afc. All of which Matt(Stattama) can supply to you if you decide to upgrade. You have to make sure you have enough supporting mods if you decide to upgrade though.

If your car is stock though and you don't want to turn it into a "race car", or spend a lot of money, this is what I advise.

Get yourself a Wizaired CAI from ZZP, a stage 1 throttle body, a catback exhaust with the U-bend delete, a 180' thermostat, UD WP pulley, and a DHP or INTENSE PCM. These are basic first mods and your car should respond pretty nicely from them. It will probably run you anywhere from $900-$1200 assuming you buy all the parts new and install them yourself.

You can always decide to go boosted later on. And most of these mods will help with boosted power. The CAI and the PCM will not be used though. The cai will be replaced by the blower and you will need a custom pcm. But you can sell them to counter some of the cost.

Take your time to decide what you want and can afford and make your decision then. We were all in the same boat at one point and I'm sure we'll be willing to help. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank u very much for the help... looks like i have to sit down and decide/save some money! But thanks again guys!! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts