3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Monte SCSS. Already done the K&N filter, and running 94 octane. I'm thinking about a 3.5 or 3.4 inch pulley, our local speed shop says it would be fine without further mods. I have a few questions running around in my mind. First, Which size? Then, what will it do to drivability, fuel economy, performance? And most importantly, what does GM Canada (or GM in general) think of this mod with regards to warranty on the car? I have almost 6 years of warranty left and don't want to blow it! has anyone had any experience with trying to get warranty out of GM having changed a pulley? Why can't you just change it back to the stock one if/when you need warranty work done? Is this advisable? Thanks in advance for any insight you can shed!

Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you take the Car to the dealership with a smaller pulley on it. You can say goodbye to your Powertrain warranty

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulley dilema

Hmmm, I was afraid of that. I wonder how practical it would be to put the pulley on, and then replace it with the stock one should the car require servicing? Would they notice it if it was in for an oil change? Would they be able to tell that I had swapped the pulleys if I swapped back to the original before servicing? Amazing how such a small thing can cause so much indecision!

And of course there is the 'is it worth it' question. Is all this a moot point because the difference isn't worth it without doing other mods that would definately void the warranty?

How do you guys deal with this sort of thing?

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I'd venture to say that most Chevy dealers wouldn't have a clue about pulley size. The 3.4 and 3.8 look similar under the hood unless you compare side by side. But, there's always the chance that there's a "ringer" in the service dept. LOL

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
swapping pulleys for trips to the dealer woudl not be practical cause you wodul have to press off the 3.4 or 3.5 and then press on the 3.8 stock pulley. I think that wodul lead to damage with all that changing. One idea is to get a MPS but i dont know many that make a 3.8 pulley.

As said the 3.4 isnt much different than the 3.8 but you never know.

if you are concerned about the warrenty, then dont mod the car. Techinally they have to prove the mod cause the problem but that is alot of red tape to go through. also some places wount even take the chance and work n a modded car. They will just refuse service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good advice

I agree that it isn't a good idea to bum out GM and lose my warranty. So, I guess my pulley change is out until the 6 years is up... I wonder what else I can do besides the change of Air Filter and fuel (octane) that won't do my warranty in? Any suggestions there?

·
Registered
784 Posts
The difference between a 3.8 and a 3.4 pulley on a otherwise stock car is virtually unnoticable. Once you start the upgrade process it won't take long for the addiction to hit. You will become an upgrade junkie like the rest of us. LOL. To be honest, to really feel the kind of differnces most people expect to see when they start making upgrades. You have to get right into the engine. With a full vehicle warranty I would leave it alone until you can do it the way you want it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had all the mods listed below, except I put my stock PCM back in when I go into the dealer for anything....

I even told them there was an issue with the steering... they ordered a new steering rack immediately, and installed it the next week, no issues, no questions, no squabbles. They also did an oil change at the same time, so they definitely saw the CAI (hard not to see), and probably the motor mounts, and the exhaust work.

The only thing I had to do was as I said, swap the PCM back to stock... I only did that because I can't afford it if they flash me back to stock.

Like the other guy said... if they have a ringer, and they are a real stickler, they can give you a hard time. Most dealers will be happy to see improvement mods, because they support the aftermarket. Hell, at my dealership, they give cost +10% for local CGP members. :) Might just enquire about a GenV blower..... :D

IMHO, go with a 3.5" if you don't plan on doing any other mods... you'll be happy with the extra 20HP... and your face will go :eek: when you feel the new rush.

Also, gut your stock airbox (go to town with a dremmel tool, and take out all the baffling and extra plastic inside the box. It's cheaper than a CAI, and will give you better airflow... also... it's unnoticeable.

After that, get a 3" DP, u-bend and res removal. Your car will sound like this afterwards:

http://www.clyke.com/monte/lav74-Exhaust-Oct03.wav

Your powertrain warranty cannot be voided by improving intake and exhaust airflow (not talking about internals)... it only makes it more efficient. Like someone said... they have to prove the mod you did caused the break.

Glad to see a fellow MCSS'er in the house... let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Questions that make you go, hmmmmm...

OK, I'm starting to get the idea now.. (took long enough, I know)... I'm getting conflicting information on whether to run 91/92 otane fuel, or 93/94 octane fuel. Other than a K&N I'm totally stock.

One source tells me that the 94 octane will allow the stock PCM to make more advanced timing, increasing the power.

Other sources tell me that the max timing is limited in the stock PCM, and that the additional octane won't help, but instead because it limits the explosion that it will hinder performance because the extra timing isn't available in the stock PCM.

I'm glad to run whichever give the most power!

Comments anybody?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with tan. If you stay with the stock SC pulley, you can get away with 91 or 92. Use 93/94 in the summertime though if you can, it could make a little difference to avoid KR on hot humid days.

If you do decide the SC pulley swap... 94 all the way. never sway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Octane, pulleys and other excitement

Thanks for the sage advice everyone. I now have some thinking to do about whether to try and slide one past GM or just relax and wait it out until my 6 years are up... |-))

Too bad that it wasn't more simple to swap pulleys without it being noticed by GM. I'm sure it's done that way on purpose!

One more question on this thread comes to mind. When I do these mods (now or 6 years from now) how is the drivability of the car with the mods? My wife has to be able to drive it without any extra ado... and she's already a little worried about the Monte's power...

·
Registered
58 Posts
The gas mileage is just about as good as it was stock, it rides stronger, and the wife loves it. What can I say. :)

Driveability is good as far as reliability is concerned, but you have to be a little more careful in the winter, since the urge to mash the pedal gets stronger the more you mod. :)

Now if I can only convince my wife that a cam and headers are a good investment... I'm all set for next year. heh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GM and my warranty

Well, I guess I now know what kind of reception I'd get if I modded the engine at all. The Monte had a little quirk in the radio, it would cut out for about 1.2 second every once in a while.. I left it til my first oil change to get it fixed.

When they pulled out the radio to get it replaced, the service manager suggested that maybe the radio had started this problem after I had the aftermarket alarm put in... Even though the radio problem had been brought to his attention the day the car left the showroom... and even though it was his recommendation to get the aftermarket alarm and where to get it from. He also knew when I got it installed (about two weeks ago), and we bought the car Aug 20th. Sheesh...

As well, they show on the check off form from service that they checked all the pulleys and the belts... (sigh)

I guess we all know what kind of reception I'd get if I changed a pulley! :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bsatti said:
Well, I guess I now know what kind of reception I'd get if I modded the engine at all. The Monte had a little quirk in the radio, it would cut out for about 1.2 second every once in a while.. I left it til my first oil change to get it fixed.

When they pulled out the radio to get it replaced, the service manager suggested that maybe the radio had started this problem after I had the aftermarket alarm put in... Even though the radio problem had been brought to his attention the day the car left the showroom... and even though it was his recommendation to get the aftermarket alarm and where to get it from. He also knew when I got it installed (about two weeks ago), and we bought the car Aug 20th. Sheesh...

As well, they show on the check off form from service that they checked all the pulleys and the belts... (sigh)

I guess we all know what kind of reception I'd get if I changed a pulley! :(
two words... CHANGE DEALERSHIPS !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.