3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The name is Mark. I am the owner of a 2004 Impala SS. I was wondering if there was anyone close to the Ft. Benning, GA area with a pulley puller for a Eaton M90 supercharger. I have recently purchased a 3.4 in pulley and would like to do the swap, but I cant find any shops that can do it. So I have decided to do it myself but don't want to pay to rent it through the mail. That extra hundred bucks could go into something else ya know.

Mark

·
Registered
354 Posts
are you just installing the 3.4 without other mods? if so your asking for trouble, trust me i'm building a new engine for that reason, to small of pulley, to much detonation, mod with supporting mods.: pcm, intake, down pipe, thermostat, colder spark plugs. just a few

·
Registered
141 Posts
............. So I have decided to do it myself but don't want to pay to rent it through the mail. That extra hundred bucks could go into something else ya know.

Mark

$100?? Puller rental is nowhere near that. BUYING a new tool is only around 100-125. I think a ZZP rental is only around $30. Of course you may be able to find a loaner in your area for less.

And PLEASE tell us what supporting mods you've done ahead of looking at a 3.4 pulley. No one in their right mind should tell you that a 3.4 is OK w/o doing anything else first. Even a stock engine can have some KR. Adding a smaller pulley w/o supporting mods is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Experience has shown that with cooler plugs (Autolite 104) , a 180* stat, and an improved exhaust you can safely use a 3.4" pulley on the L67 3800 engine but using that pulley on the L32 ( series II engine), is definitely a bad idea. No matter how I changed the tune I could not get rid of KR"s on the series III until I added an intercooler. The reason is that the 04-07 Gen V superchargers put out more boost.
As for changing the pulley, if you don't have the ZZ unit, the job is next to impossible to do without getting pulley damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts