3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently looking into options of what supercharges i should fit up to my L67. the motor was recently built with the following

4.2 Stroker for Boost/Nitrous
Billet Crank
H-Beam Rods
Wiseco forged pistons
65lb Injectors
Inteanse S4 Heads w/ manley 150lb springs
Intense Port matched lower intake
S4 Intense Blower Cam.. Ground with smaller base circles to suit Stroker
Yella Terra Platinum Rockers 1.6
3/8 Pushrods
Double Row Timing Chain
Balance shaft delete
60thou head gasket
10% Over-drive balancer
CompCams Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Meziere EWP

and alot of parts got cryo treated aswell.

the original plan was to fit a whipple 2.3 W2A cooled. but i have also been considering procharger superchargers. my only concern is though, if going a centrifugal setup does this mean the car will have lag down low or low torque figures compared to a PD whipple supercharger.

heres a link to the procharger website and the models available.
ProCharger Supercharger Models
I am mainly interested in the D-1SC procharger or the F-1A procharger.

Can anyone give me any info or there thaughts if this would be a wise choice

Cheers

·
Registered
752 Posts
I personaly think that centrifugal superchargers have the worst of both worlds. Lag ( or moreover RPM dependancy) of a turbo and horsepower robbing of a supercharger. They are more adiabatically efficient than Roots superchargers (though twin-screw are close) and totally dyno queens compared the Roots, but the driveability I consider worse than a turbo, because of the RPM dependancy and the chance of striping the gears of the step-up drive on manual transmission cars. If you have an automatic tranny I think a properly matched turbo will reach your goals with less engine stress than superchargers create. I say either go for the Whipple or go turbo, unless you just care for the max horsepower number, which the centrifugal SC will provide. They are easy to install and you can intercool them better than the whipple that will heat soak on top of the engine and also all of the pressurized air will go through the IC of a centrifugal, where only part of the boost gets cooled down by the current "heater core" IC's, because the boost is created in the LIM both before and after the heater core.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd say, from that mod-list, he's going all-out. The CSC will fill his needs admirably.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
a turbo/twin and a transmission equiped with a trans brake IMO would help meet you goal best IMO

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
It is true that you do not make the low end power with these blowers like a roots type. However Prochargers make big hp and are great for drag racing. I have a 4.6 2 V mustang I am working on that should make 700 rwhp using a D1SC. If I was building a car just for drag racing and it had to be supercharged, it would be centrigual style blower. My first choice is turbocharging.

·
Registered
239 Posts
after building my l67 camaro, we compared my setup against a centrifugal setup with the same mods.

both cars ran about a 13.7 but the roots ran it at 5psi and the cent ran it a 9psi.

its all about that instant torque.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im currently looking into options of what supercharges i should fit up to my L67. the motor was recently built with the following

4.2 Stroker for Boost/Nitrous
Billet Crank
H-Beam Rods
Wiseco forged pistons
65lb Injectors
Inteanse S4 Heads w/ manley 150lb springs
Intense Port matched lower intake
S4 Intense Blower Cam.. Ground with smaller base circles to suit Stroker
Yella Terra Platinum Rockers 1.6
3/8 Pushrods
Double Row Timing Chain
Balance shaft delete
60thou head gasket
10% Over-drive balancer
CompCams Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Meziere EWP

and alot of parts got cryo treated aswell.

the original plan was to fit a whipple 2.3 W2A cooled. but i have also been considering procharger superchargers. my only concern is though, if going a centrifugal setup does this mean the car will have lag down low or low torque figures compared to a PD whipple supercharger.

heres a link to the procharger website and the models available.
ProCharger Supercharger Models
I am mainly interested in the D-1SC procharger or the F-1A procharger.

Can anyone give me any info or there thaughts if this would be a wise choice

Cheers
Bro what transmission can handle that??

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
FYI, this was a January 2008 discussion.

If you check the original author's profile, they're from Australia, so it's in a RWD Holden platform, and many down there typically swap in something like a TH400 that can take 3x more power than any supercharged 3800 has ever made. A couple turbo builds down under have hit 1,000+hp and run either a Powerglide or TH400. The TH400 was also used by the 2 fastest RWD builds in the US (Tim King's 8.9sec Firebird and Chris Hoenle's 9.3sec RWD-converted GTP, both ran in the mid-late 2000's).

3800Pro.com Forum
(Before the latest website update at the start of 2020... A few notables since then, Wilzig hit 7's, another Aussie hit 8's, and 1-2 Fiero's hit 9's.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts