3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I finally got around to installing my new PCM. Followed the instructions to a T. Performed the security relearn which took about 35-40 minutes.

Started car per instructions. Car ran fine for about 90 seconds and then started to spit and sputter. Gave it a little gas to keep it running. After another 15 seconds the car would die.

I left the car shutdown for about 10 minutes while I checked out other things it could be (vaccum leak, loose plug wire, etc.) Restarted the car and walked to the engine bay. Again car ran fine for about 90 seconds. Again car started to spit and sputter-seemed to be a progressively louder ticking noise coming from the back side of the engine (rear valve cover area) and I shut the car down again. It seemed to start running bad when the coolong fans kicked in. Maybe just a coincidence.

Restared for a 3rd time and tried to make a quick run down the street. Under car started to run bad again. Gave it some gas to keep moving. Under full throttle I could only get it to 15 MPH. Quickly turned around and pulled back into the garage.

Swapped back to the stock PCM and car runs fine??????

This was the only modification I made lastnight. My other mods have been on the car for a minimum of 3 weeks (some almost a year) Current mods include 3.4 pulley, FWI, ZZP throttle body spacer, R/T downpipe and cat, Autolite 104's and brand new stock wires (wires and plugs are 3 weeks old), ported exhaust manifolds.

Any suggestions? I really want to get my new PCM in and have the car runinng well. Thanks for reading my novel.

Brian

·
Banned
189 Posts
Brian,

BIG JEFF here. I just saw this thread, and talked to Scott about it. Please e-mail scott with all info on your car, and we will help you troubleshoot this. Sorry you're having problems.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I will e-mail Scott now.

This is what I call customer service!!!!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
565 Posts
TTT...

Is this just a Regal problem? Is it just for certain years? I know of a couple other guys with the exact same issue. It would be great to get a resolution for this. Brian, have you had this resolved yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are working on a resolution now. A new PCM is on the way and I should know in a day or two.

Scott has been incredibly helpful and prompt in resolving the issue. If I had it to do over again I would still make the purchase! I have had a bad experience with other vendors (not in the 3800 community) and I was not looking forward to trying to get this issue resolved. Intense has made the process very easy with their excellent service and support.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Brian (and Scott for that matter), please keep us updated, since like I said, there are 2 others (that I know of) out there with the same issue.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
At this point it appears that this problem only affects customers with 1998 Regal GS PCM's. We shipped nearly a hundred PCM's in the last two weeks, and all four recent 1998 Regal GS PCM customers emailed us over the weekend with similar symptoms.

I have been unable to locate any errors in the code, so it appears that I may have used a 1998 GS binary file that somehow got corrupted. I believe I got the first three customers taken care of earlier today, and I should be able to get the remaining customer taken care of tomorrow.

I apologize for the inconvenience folks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was one of the people with the problem. I recieved my new PCM just a few minutes ago. I will install it later today, I hope it works out. Scott, has been very helpful during this process, and everything has been taken care of in an absoulutly speedy manner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got off the phone with UPS. They attempted delivery today but no one was home. I am going to pick it up as soon as I leave. I am very much anticipating the install. Hopefully this will fix the issue we are seeing.

I will update this thread with the results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If Scott sends me the tracking number today, I'm not even waiting for them to deliver it. I will be at the UPS Center when it comes off the truck!!!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Any updates guys?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did not make it to UPS in time last night. I am heading over at lunch to pick it up. I will install it tonight and post back as soon as I know something.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I heard back for the first of four people who we shipped fresh PCM's to, and he still has the same problem. At this point, I don't know what the cause is, but we will continue working on it until a resolution is found.

For those who can't wait, we will flash stock PCM's and overnight them, in addition to covering all the shipping charges.

I feel bad about this guys!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any known issues with the 98 Regal Stage1 PCM??? or is this strictly the Standard??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts