3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a leak from one of the components on the unit. Both hoses appear dry at the pump. The billows has fluid visible on it and the small off set rubber piece on the billows that has what appears to be @1/4 in line running from each side of the rack just freely rotates around and fluid seems present there. Is this tubing suppose to rotate freely or should it be secured to the rack and have small clamps to prevent the fluid loss. Both sides are equally wet with fluid and the fluid seems to run down the frame and drips on the right side. Any thoughts??

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words in many cases like this.

Sounds like that line may have become loose. I think you're referring to the straight line across the rack, which might just need a clamp/zip-tie on each end to get the rubber to seal, again. I haven't tinkered with one in a bit to recall the exact layout, but feel free to update.

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
That's what I thought it might've been. I think it just lets excess grease pressure move to the extended boot when turning. If there's actual PS fluid coming out, that might be a hydraulic seal inside the rack leaking out into the boot. The boots are just meant to keep the inner tie rods and their grease clean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep I saw it was ps fluid because it is an identical match to what I find on my garage floor and both boots are covered with the fluid. It steers ok and has no noises when turning. I just recently bought this car and had completed changing the valve cover gaskets, supercharger gasket, throttle body gasket, right motor mount, replaced coolant elbows with metal, oil/filter change and I went out to back it out of my garage let it run about 5 minutes and pulled it back in and saw no leaks. About and hour later I checked again and saw the @ 6" by 3" oil spot under the right boot. Quite disappointing considering I am working off the floor of the garage being 76 years old.
I think I will clean it up and put ties on each and see how much leaks and go from there. I am sure that is a major job replacing the seals in the rack. Thanks so much for your insight and help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question how do you tell if it has magnetic variable assist or is a type w/o magnetic variable assist? Seems most parts ask that question regarding the hoses. seal kits etc at least on Rock Auto.

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
I believe it's a harness that routes to the rack to modulate how much power assist is applied at various speeds. My GXP has it, but I don't think my GS does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts