3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone powdercoated a northstar TB? I was planning to powdercoat one, and when I pulled the throttle shaft out I noticed it has a needle bearing ass. on the cable side. And it appears to have a plastic cage in it. So, I'm worried it may melt that when baking. And It doesn't look to easy to remove without damaging it.

·
Administrator
1,249 Posts
Disassembled many TB's...

You can remove the bearing assembly (it's a sealed bearing, so be familiar with the structure), and there's a small curved ring on the outer edge to keep the bearing on the center post inside the body. As long as you're not destroying things, they'll come out and go back in fine. The ring may bend up some, just carefully keep it ready to go back before putting the TPS sensor back on.

Always put a dab of loctite on the blade screws, so they don't get loose and suck into the engine.

Prep is 90% of the job, so spend most of your effort making that as nice as possible, because any paint or powder being applied will do it's own job. Your job is to ensure it only goes where it's supposed to, and protect surfaces it's not (inner air/sensor passages, sealing/mating surfaces, etc.).

- Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bearing on the throttle cable side is definitely not sealed. I can see the needle bearings and the cage. I was expecting more of a bushing when I removed the shaft. I really don't see anyway to remove it without the correct size blind bearing puller/remover. I think I'd more than likely damage it trying it without the right puller. Which I guess I could buy a cheap one and try. Worst case scenario, back to the pick a part to look for a replacement.

I do most of my own powdercoating as long as it fits in the oven. I'm certainly no professional at it, but yeah it's a lot like paint, good prep is needed to get a decent job. And just like paint, it's always thin on sharp edges/corners.

Was hoping someone would say, yeah I baked mine at 400 and the bearing was fine....

·
Administrator
1,249 Posts
Picture's worth 1,000 words. Just add one to show exactly what you see, and it may help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went ahead and ordered a motionpro blind bearing remover set; should be here Thursday. I wouldn't mind to have in my toolbox anyway. Hoping with that I can pull it without damaging. I'll try to throw some pics up once I get them out in case anyone is curious.

·
Administrator
1,249 Posts
Cool. I don't think I put the recent TB rebuild in there when I was tweaking the adapter last year, but you can see random stuff from my build/upgrade/update ones, and should also link you to other active folks on there for more footage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts