3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem started about 3 days ago, I was driving at about 35-40 and the engine dies. I pulled over and tried to start it again, it wouldn't start so i let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Went to go start it and i had to give it gas to help it start. It idled good but when I went to go pull back onto the road it almost seemed like I was pumping the gas rapidly like you would the brakes in the snow. Got it up to 30 and the car ran like normal. It died a couple times on the way home and the same thing happened. I finally got it home and got to look at everything.

I changed plugs about 5k miles ago and i just put new plug wires on it 2 days ago. They were original plug wires with 105,000 on them so i thought that might be it but it still has the problem. I replaced the fuel filter yesterday, also original and that helped with the starting and keeping it running. The problem now is that while driving around my neighborhood the engine seems very unresponsive and bogged down. When i get on it, it takes a few seconds to rev up and downshift. Im thinking that it is the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump or maybe both.

I just want to see if you guys have any opinions on what it might be or any other possible culprits to the problem.

Thank you in advance, you guys are great

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yr/make/model?
The FPR is on the front of the motor right by the boost bypass valve. Pull the vacuum lines to it, and inspect for leaking fuel. If it's leaking any fuel into the vacuum lines your FPR is shot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just checked the line and found that the boot had a nice tear in one end. I replaced it but it didnt seem to help. I also didnt see any fuel in the vacuum hose but i do plan on replacing the fpr anyways

also the vehicle is a 96 firebird with a series 2 in it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'd keep following that vacuum line while you're at it, if you had one tear, there might be another.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's beginning to sound like a weak FP or plugged filter. If you do pedal to the metal, will it continue to make power as rpms go up or does it start to fall on it's face? Sometimes when we drive a car with a weak pump it may take til end of 2nd gear before it really lays down. The best way would be test the fuel pressure and volumn(1 pint in 30 secs). If either of these tests fail and the filter is good, it needs a fuel pump.

My 2 cents, Jake L.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i just got everything back onto the car with a new pressure reg. I ended up taking those clips off that connect the injectors to rail and i regret it! it was a pain to get those back on.
Also i checked the boots for the other vacuum lines and they look all good

The car seems to get running better there's more power when you push the pedal down but it still doesn't feel right. When the car was in park in the driveway i blipped the pedal and it paused for second then revved up, almost like it was taking a gulp of air.
Ill probably try the test Jake mentioned next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got ahold of my buddy and he brought his ethos scanner over to see if we could see what my fuel pressure was. Everything that we could see on there looked good. and it ran good during the test.

A little while later we were going to pull the car in the garage to try the pump test. I started it up and it didnt sound right at all. Hooked the scanner up again and found that cylinder 5 isnt firing at all.

I took out the plug and it looks good, the plug wire looks good. I swapped plugs and even put an old wire on cly 5 to test it. same thing happened.

So im kinda stuck. Im pretty sure i put the fuel rail and injectors back on right. I figured if something wasnt right with that I would at least be able to smell gas if not see it somewhere when its running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may have found the problem. I took the coils off of the ignition control and it looks like it's seen better days. I'm gonna go see how much a new one is in the morning and try that out. Hopefully it will end the problems I've been having!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed out the ignition control and it seems to have helped a little. Instead of 2000 misfires in 30 secs -1 min I have about 200. I also now have a very occasional misfire in 2. So I'm stuck again. I'm thinking coils may be getting bad?

·
Registered
185 Posts
did you do a compression test on that cylinder? Cylinder 2 and 5 I belive are on the same coil but it could be a weak icm the module under the coils a lot of times when i have a car like that come in i do all the coils with the module. but i would check to make sure your compression is good and also check your injector pulse to the injector if you have fuel and spark its prob. mechanical. Also do you notice if it acts ok when it is cool on like first start of the day and as you drive it it seems to get worse and worse because a clogged catalytic converter will act up like that the hotter it gets the less the car wants to go. And what is your MAF readings I have seen MAFS get hairs on them from the air filter and cause a lazy reading you can just pulled it out and clean it carefuly with like brake cleaner and a really small light brush dont break it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I went and put a new fuel pump in. The car works fine now. I also checked the Icm and it was all corroded I had it tested and it was crap so I ended up replacing that. The car has been running for a week now with no problems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts