3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size do they port the manifolds to when they port them? Also does anyone know the exact gains from doing this? I.E-How much HP/Torque do you pick up, and how much KR it might kill.
Thanks,
Tate

·
Registered
19 Posts
They aren't really ported to a size, they are just ported for a nice smooth opening (open up the inlets (gasket match), remove the welds (esp. on the rear manifold)). The give different gains depending on your mods.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are there any companys currently offering ported exhaust manifolds? I've noticed ZZP has had them on back order for quite some time and haven't seen them offered any where else.

·
Registered
139 Posts
headers cost so much to get installed.

unless you are doing it yourself i say do it once and do it right.

anyone got a dynochart of the HP gain with the ported manifolds?

·
Registered
91 Posts
If any Canadian guys are looking for pem's I do custom orders the front is ported out to a nice smooth entry and the rear primaries are welded on the outside the inside is ground to a 1 1/2 " ID the restriction from 4&6 tube is removed and the main dump is taken to a 3" ID and welded on the outside for strength,THey are coated with hi-temp ceramic paint and baked at 600f for 3 hrs .take a look http://photobucket.com/albums/v206/chico1319

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
If any Canadian guys are looking for pem's I do custom orders
Please contact us about sponsorship if you want to promote your products on this forum. All the details can be found here at this link:

www.3800Tech/sponsor.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Or why not just take a dremel and do it yourself and save money? That's what i'm doing, but then I like to do everything myself. Sure it takes a while, and a lot of crap gets in your eyes while you're grinding the ports on the manis, but at least you're doing it yourself, saving money, and you get the satisfaction of knowing you did it. Maybe it's just me, i dunno.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not trying to promote a product but using a dremil to port mnflds won't get the job done you need at least a good die grinder a bottle hone for honeing inside the primaries,you need a good mig welder to weld up the exterior joints .Iwithdraw any sales offers as i am not in the position to be a sponser at this time.for the question about how to get a 3" opening at the dump you need to do a vertical weave around the outer perimeter say 1/4" then grind out the inside to a true 3".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well we won't know if it "got the job done" or not until after they're installed and I hit the track sometime this winter. But after seeing what the manis look like stock, ANYTHING is an improvement. When I get my digital camera back i'll post some pics of what I did vs. stock. Not trying to demote your product or anything, but i'm sure it was better $/hp wise for me to do my stuff with a dremel than pay you $150.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not saying you can't do a reasonable job at home just a couple of pointers the front is obvious where you need to remove some matierial,on the rear if your not going to do any welding just grind inside the primaries till there is about 1/16" of the weld left and if you can get inside try to grind off some of the #6 tubes restriction on the main dump you should be able to smooth the inside quite a bit without welding the outside ,I hope this helps you a little and good luck with your project .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, I took the rear mani to a little shop yesterday to get it welded on the outside. Charged me $40 to weld the 3 primaries and the outside of where it connects to the dp. That sound like a reasonable price? Just wondering if I should go back to this shop for any other welding/exhaust work, they did do a good job.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mr. INTENSE said:
Please contact us about sponsorship if you want to promote your products on this forum. All the details can be found here at this link:

www.3800Tech/sponsor.html
Just an FYI for Scott... that link doesn't work...

I was also considering porting my own manifolds, but opted for the headers at the time... I still have the stock maniflods, and if I ever get another 3800 powered car, I'll be porting and installing myself.

I did do some porting on my head exhaust ports (badly needed IMO)... its one of the weak links in our exhaust systems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You also had the benefit of having your engine disassembled when you did that. I don't like the exhaust ports on the head either, i've got my front manifold off right now and it's a real sharp curve going into the mani. I'm not going to port that, because the heads are still on the motor, and I wouldn't be able to get to the rear ports to have them all the same.

I'd have gotten headers if they were cheaper, but no way i'm paying $800 for headers that are too big for what I need anyway. MAYBE if I do a cam i'll get S&S headers, but TOG's and SLP's are WAY too expensive for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone try thermal wrap on ported manifolds? I'd love to get rid of some of the heat under my hood.

·
Registered
168 Posts
yanno with my setup I was wondering if PM's would be better than headers due to the fact that I need some sort of backpressure and the only thing providing that now are the stock manifolds and the Twister race muffler which doesnt do that much either.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had custom built headers and swapped them out for PEMS i gained some TQ and am running better times .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.