3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a ported and polished tb for my 98gt. It ended up that it was for a 99+ gt. i could use it, but it needs a 99+ maf sensor. If you are interested i can email you pics, because i dont know how to post them on here. or if anyone has a super cheap 99+ maf sensor???

·
Registered
467 Posts
Does it not have any MAF at all? If you can describe how it's ported, and maybe I can help you get it baselined. The thing I'm worried about is HOW it's ported, you may get better performance depending, by using a 4.3 V6 truck maf. The porting needs to be done a certain way with the 99+ maf to get it tuneable, and you will need a mini-afc of some sort switching years for it to work the best.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's the 97/98 style, so your current MAF will drop right in. However, I haven't tried cutting the maf post like that, so I can't advise on how it will work for you. The main problem I see is that it's missing the plate that covers the back of the maf channel. It really needs to be there. The wires in the MAF sensor work by heating the element, then the computer times how long it takes for the element to cool. It measures the specific gravity of the air in this way. Having a free flowing channel passing over the wires like that will cool thelement too quickly. The computer will interpret this as a lean condition in relation to normal programmed perameters for incoming air vs engine speed, it will cause the long-term fuel conditions to go to their max values of 16.4%, and throw a lean code. If you were to look at your stock maf post from behind, you will see a flat metal plate covering the channel, which is open at the bottom. Air enters at the small opening in the front, and vaccum from the incoming air pulls it out of the bottom. It may work OK if you were to put a plate at the back of the channel; leaving the bottom open. However, it may not. From what I see, the screw holes are machined off, so you need to somehow make a mounting point for the backing plate. This particular TB can be converted to a 99+ style MAF, but not without some fairly major fabrication. I've converted a few of the older style TB's to newer mafs, but they never seem to work all that well, and I've since discontined doing it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see my maf sensor has the two screw opposite corner of each other heres a diagram to explain it 1 2
3 4

my maf the screws are 1 and 4 on this tb it has holes for the screws to be in positions 3 and 4.
Why is this?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Looking at the front of the TB, the screws should be in positions 2 and 3. The following pic is a '99+ GT TB, but the mounts should be the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
see that tb is they type i have. the tb im trying to sell has the other type where they are both on one side.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That TB may be for a series 1 3800 or an F-Body. I only have experience with the '97 to 2003 TB's. They all have mounting locations like the one in the pic. Hopfully someone familiar with this will chime in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts