3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everyone first time here.

i have a 2004 pontiac grand prix n/a 180k miles.It stalls after driving for about 15 mins it dies and well not restart until its cooled down for a hour.I have no check engine light,the only warning i have is steering effort but i dont think that is related. I have replaced the fuel pump, filter and the crankshaft position sensor. At this point i am lost and dont know here to go from here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What brands are the parts you replaced?
With no CEL it sounds kinda fuel related but which crank sensor did you replace? At the harmonic or back (Left side when looking at it from the belt end) of the engine between engine and transmission? The series III 3800’s had an issue I never saw with series II cars. The crank sensor seating surface on those needs to be rust free. Rust builds up and pushes the sensor away from the block making weak signals. Worst when hot due to expansion. Once cooled it generates a signal strong enough that the pcm can use it.
Back to checking the fuel though, if the block where the sensor goes is bare metal clean.
For the fuel possibly being the issue a volume test should be done. I rarely see that issue but if the volume and/or pressure is low, it will actually boil in the fuel rail when it’s very hot and cause stalling and no starts.
Key on engine off won’t determine if the pump is producing volume. Must be running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the one at the harmonic. The surface was clean when i replaced it and i did use acdelco. It will run for hours idling but as soon as i drive a few miles it dies.I do have to lift off the gas for it to shift into 2nd but and could be the trany is going? idk but it is something new.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check the other crank sensor. It’ll set a code but try unplugging the EGR and driving it. For the transmission, pull the pan and make sure a) there’s no massive amounts of debris/fillings inside and b) make sure the 3 steel tubes are not loose. Use Dex 6 fluid to refill. Around 7.5-8 litres

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe that’s my mistake?? Maybe it’s the 3500 or 3900. It’s been a while since I’ve encountered that issue. But I thought it was the series 3 3800.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did noticed today after it stalled,when i tried to restart it the starter stayed on until i turned the key all the way off.It doesn't normally do that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That should be the normal auto crank on a w-body. If it kept cranking for more than 10 seconds that would be strange.

Maybe you just need to do a Crankshaft Variation Relearn procedure, it requires a capable scan tool though. After replacing the crank sensor it would be recommended because just a slight change in mounting position can cause issues.

Other than that when it won’t start you need to determine which of the crucial 3 you’re not getting. Air, fuel, spark. You must be missing one of those when it’s hot after driving.

You seem to be having a bunch of issues and I’m sorry to hear that.

If I lived in the USA and nearby I’d say bring it by to check some things but your symptoms are all over the place so helping online besides what I’ve suggested is about as much help as I can be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i thank you very much for your help. Had a friend tell me when the car stalls again use some starting fluid and see if it tries to run. If it tries to start its a fuel problem if it doesnt it the icm. So i will try that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don’t jump the gun on the ICM they go bad rarely. Older 3800’s like the series I they were a known issue but series II, III not so much.
Personally I’d check for spark without the spray because you have to spray it through the TB and with the MAF right there... not great results. Wet MAF is an unhappy MAF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i did figure it out, it was the ICM. I also had a few wired that went to the icm that was bare. thanks for the help tho

·
Registered
24 Posts
hello everyone first time here.

i have a 2004 pontiac grand prix n/a 180k miles.It stalls after driving for about 15 mins it dies and well not restart until its cooled down for a hour.I have no check engine light,the only warning i have is steering effort but i dont think that is related. I have replaced the fuel pump, filter and the crankshaft position sensor. At this point i am lost and dont know here to go from here.
Check fuel pressure & cas id start there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts