3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has developed an oil leak; I swear it is coming from around the balancer bolt, but that doesn't make sense to me.

I have done a few searches on here, and not found this specific oil leak.

I don't understand how oil could be coming from the bolt.

There is not oil leaking around the seal in the front cover... that I can tell.

If I idle the car for 30sec and shut it off, I can see oil streaks coming from behind the bolt head. If I run it for a bit longer, the oil escapes the balancer and gets flung. Once I stop the engine, there is a little puddle of oil that stays in the center part of the balancer.

How do I fix this leak? I know where it is coming from but not sure what is actually wrong; Please help.

FYI, the balancer is the ATI one that Intense sells.

THanks for any insight.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I know of no way a balancer bolt could leak,however there is a seal behind the balancer that could develop a leak quite easily.
It could be leaking from the seal onto the balancer and following gravity to the bottom of balancer.

I guess excessive clearance could cause leak between the crank and balancer,the only fix I can think of would be maybe a thin film of silicone but that doesn't feel right.

I would call ATI after you confirm it is not the crank seal behind the balancer.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Actually that oil leak from "balancer bolt" area is somewhat common depending on what engine you are working with. I've had this exact sane leak from my F250 460V8 engine and from my 03 GTP 3800 engine. In both cases the fix was pull the balancer, clean all the surfaces (crank snout, hole thru the balancer, etc). After clean and dry, apply film of RTV silicone sealer inside hole running thru balancer and tighten bolt til balancer is seated but do not final torque. Remove balancer bolt and apply silicone sealer to the front face of balancer where the bolt washer touches and also on the surface of bolt washer. Noe reinstall balancer bolt and torque to spec and that is the end of this leak.

Over the years I've seen this type of oil leak to be somewhat common.
Good luck, Jake L.

PS, if you look at a new balancer bolt from GM, it has some sort of compound on the washer surface that appears to be a sealer of some sort. You could buy a new bolt but sealer will do the job..............

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help guys. I will try to seal her up in a couple days, and will report back.

Thanks again,
Jeremy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sealer on the bolt and no more leak. Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts