3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into buying forged pistons and connecting rods- i can do the work myself, but i dont have the tools and equiptment required to do it. Has anyone had a shop do this for them before, how much did it cost. Also, how much extra would it cost me to get the block cleaned/machined? If anyones had this done, let me know how much it cost you, thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
New cam bearings (including the bearings), clean and prep, clylinder bore and a resurface on the head mating surface ran me $400.

Rotating assembly balance was $175

Crank Align hone was $125

Crossdrilled and polished crank was $131

This was all done at 2 different local speed shops in Minnesota, hope this helps give you an idea.

We did all the assembly ourselves though!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Davjos81 said:
Im looking into buying forged pistons and connecting rods- i can do the work myself, but i dont have the tools and equiptment required to do it. Has anyone had a shop do this for them before, how much did it cost. Also, how much extra would it cost me to get the block cleaned/machined? If anyones had this done, let me know how much it cost you, thanks!

only real tools you need to assemble is a piston ring compressor. Have a machine shop, hone bore your cylinders, line hone the main caps and deck the block. IF the crank is fine, I wouldnt touch it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Haven't done it yet, but I've been looking into pricing, etc and I happen to have a price list from my local machine shop.

They charge $175 to assemble a regular shortblock, and $325 to assemble a complete engine. Hot tanking runs $60 for the block and magnaflux is about $30. Cylinder honing w/ a CK10 machine runs $12/cyl, decking the block square is $100 and align honing is $150, finally painting + deburring the block runs $65. Hope that helped

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Last time I had rods installed on pistons it ran me about 5 per rod, but that was over 6 years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I'd check up on this myself at a local shop, but right now I'm deployed to Iraq, so it makes things difficult. Im going to call around next month when i go on leave and see what i can find thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts