3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else polished their supercharger? I would like ot see pics of others. Here is a pic of mine. I got a ways to go till im finished.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
L67fiero said:
how willl polishing the alum make it get hotter??
When you polish something, you actually remove the pore on the surface, which means less surface is exposed to air = less cooling...

On the other hand, a dirty stock SC would have the same effect because all the pore all filled with dirt...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blackZ34 said:
When you polish something, you actually remove the pore on the surface, which means less surface is exposed to air = less cooling...

On the other hand, a dirty stock SC would have the same effect because all the pore all filled with dirt...

Ok sorry, I understand that , I should have posted it more like How is it going to make a noticable differance?

btw yours looks awesome, kinda makes feel worse about mine... hopefully i can get mine to look as nice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good looking blower...plan to do that to mine...and a few more others.

Eaton designed the blowers with a "krinkle" finish, the roughness that is part of the mold when the housings are made. Eaton claimes they help cool the supercharger, by allowing the air to get closer to the housing and help pull the heat away. Kinda like the heat fins that are already there on the housing. But think of it as a smaller fin.

FieroX, that guy polished his, and painted his snout orange, before he went to a turbo set up. From normal operating engine timp, and we both had 180* t-stats, he had an electric temp. guage, you know one of those hand held ones, both engine temps, exhaust temps, and SC housing temps were the same...as close as two combined could get, we started them up at the same time, and went for a short WOT run down the highway, and pulled into a parking lot, he opened his hood I opened mine, and took the temps again...his was cooler...by a larger difference.

Weiand, Holley, Vortech, Procharger, Powerdyne, Kenny Bell, all their superchargers come polished, or you can get them in a satin finish ofcorse. What do you have to say about theirs...and their choise of finish on their housings?

I myself am going to polish mine too. Its going to get hot no matter what...might as well make it look cool.

~Farnsworth~

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
NICE LOOKIN' BLOWERS GUYS!! :cool: I was actually unaware until now that you could polish the housing on the M90 Blowers like that. For 5 years now, i've been shaking my head at Eaton for making something so cool, look so bad....... LOL

So what sort of tools and time is a fella looking at to do this?? Love to know. TKS. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
A lot and I mean a lot of elbow grease.

I have 4 superchargers to polish, and while they are apart I am going to port and polish the inlet, and port the outlet. To do it correctly, you want to completely dissemble the supercharger, noting and I mean nothing can be in or on it before you start. The buffing compound that you use will eat bearings alive if those are not removed.

Pluss on the re-rebuild, its always a good idea to go ahead and rebuild the snout and replace the coupler and rotor bearings while everything is apart. I plan to do that on all of these blowers I have.

The snout has paint on it from Eaton, so you will have to have that removed = sand blasting, but you want them to use the finest sand possible so it doesnt make too ruff of a surface once the paint is removed. Remember, you will have to polish all of that out.

I would charge somebody once the blower was all taken apart completely $180.00 to polish the blower housing and the snout. It will take some additional work to get into all of the little corrners and creases of the blower and snout...lot of man hours involved.

If your not in a hurry...its something anybody can do. A good idea would be buy a used blower and start working on that, and rebuild it, and then all you would have to do is install it some afteroon and your car wouldnt have any down time.

I bought these 4 blowers to do this to, and resell as a ported and polished (inside and out) M90. One will go on my engine I'm building now, so I will have 3 left. I think one is even a '97 blower, so those guys can have an exact swap over. :D

~Farnsworth~

·
Registered
768 Posts
how about some pics of porting jobs? I have a stage 2 blower, and was thinking about maybe going a little further with it..... Only if i had something to work off of. PGA2b gave me some great info....but i need to see some pics to really get a grasp of what to do. Especially the outlet of the blower. Why did GM make a triangle shape with two slits on the sides? :confused: I never quite understood that?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW , i am glad you would do it for $180.....geeez it is alot of work and mine nowhere near looks hlaf as good as BlackZ34s. I spent alittle more time on mine today but im not worried about the front side or lower under the fuel railsif it cant be seen I see not need in killing myself. I dont have to mess with polishing around the boost control sol. since you only see the opposite side in the fiero. Post some pics of your blower housings to show off your work , If im not satisfied with how mine turns out I might just pay you to do mine for me.
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
6 Posts
What do you guys use to polish these. I polished my alternator using my dremel with some jewelers compound. I want to do my supercharger but I think it would take way to long with a dremel.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started out with 50 grit pads on a small air d/a sander, then went over with 80 grit by hand then went again wiht 320 finishing paper. Used mothers alum polishing and an polishing wheel. I need to go back over mine a time or 2 with the 320 then with something finer. I thought about going back over with 600 and maybe 1000grit.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
WOW looking good guys. What about painting them with say an engine paint? Or is there any speicial paint that will pull out heat?

i woudl love to do this to mine, make a great show piece!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Naa I wouldnt paint them. The most I would do if you had to paint something is to paint the snout...or TB. As for the case...leave it be or in our case polish it just to raise hell.

I dont have any pictures of my polished blowers yet, but when I get one done I will post them to show them off, dont worry. You would think that to polish aluminum would be a little easier...ha! But once its done...and done right...gonna look bad ass!

~Farnsworth~

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice looking SC's guy's! Great work.
GR8racingfool, have you taken a look at a M90 off a 96 SSEi (or Buick PA) They were Very smooth with a powder coat like paint on the outside, a tan color. I don't know how hard it would be to remove this paint, but the alum under it would not take much to polish it.
Before I put my M112 Hybrid on my 01 GTP, I had a 96 SSEi SC on it that had been ported. I thought it would look sweet to polish it up, and after seeing these picks I know it would have. Maybe I should polish the hybrid!
Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Polished surfaces dont transfer heat as well. Why do you polish a combustion chamber or the tops of pistons? To help prevent heat transfer and hot-spots. Part of the same reason you polish exhaust ports. It might not make that much difference on these SCs though. It definately looks awesome, but it might be that last degree of KR you cant get rid of! The kenne belles and other SCs on the market are big dollar items that I would tend to bet are put on cars to look pretty more often than for performance :D. And the people that are worried about performance w/ those are going to be intercooled. My .02

Tim

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
N2O does all the cooling I need! Not worried about polishing it. I like the look and I dont see it making a drastic differance, More worried about trans and axels holding up more than anything.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
GR8racingfool said:
Naa I wouldnt paint them. The most I would do if you had to paint something is to paint the snout...or TB. As for the case...leave it be or in our case polish it just to raise hell.

I dont have any pictures of my polished blowers yet, but when I get one done I will post them to show them off, dont worry. You would think that to polish aluminum would be a little easier...ha! But once its done...and done right...gonna look bad ass!

~Farnsworth~
So, you're saying that you charge to do this. What if I were to send you a P/P blower and just wanted you to polish the outside of it? What would you charge?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.