3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,
Looking for some help as I've decided to go turbo instead of the gen V swap. Looking for info on the vacuum line routing, a PCV setup with a catch can and evap purge setup.
Car is an 04 regal LS, GTP L67 with series 3 top end (heads/IM with injector holes welded shut), N* TB, and a Cartuning turbo kit. PLEASE let me know if I've missed anything as I'm trying to figure everything out before I do the swap!!!
Thank You In Advance!!!!

1. For the evap purge valve could the stock L36 evap purge solenoid be used? or does anything need to be re routed or modded? purge solenoid hits the N* TB when in the factory location on the S3 IM.

2. For Vacuum line routing,
-I believe I'll have to add a couple barbs on the IM for the boost gauge and not sure what else.
  • Planning on using the stock line/check valve for the booster (if that works)??
  • Is there a check valve needed to run between the N* and the 90 degree vacuum line on the top of the S3 IM?
  • Not sure if I'm missing anything. Or if someone has a diagram somewhere??

3. For PCV setup, the goal is a sealed system (no breathers) and a catch can
  • planning on using a L67 pcv valve in the stock location
  • I've read there is a port in the pcv location that needs to be welded shut. Is this true?
  • Are there any other mods that need to be done to the IM, holes welded shut, ports added etc etc?
  • I drew a cheesy diagram for how I think the PCV routing should go (hopefully it'll upload)
    Handwriting Font Wall Parallel Drawing

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Great questions, and very similar to the setup my Regal had for years, so I should be able to provide some insight...

1) EVAP - go ahead and use the Series 2 solenoid, if the Series 3 runs into the TB linkage, as they work the same

2) Yes, the stock brake booster line will work, just put a hose clamp on the ends for security. Then, tap the EVAP hole for 1/4 or 3/8 NPT (whichever is very close), I did this on both my GenV M90 and L26 UIM, for a good source to feed things. It's a solid spot, along with your TB adapter plate's EVAP port directly to the bore, to access manifold pressure for a vac/boost reference.

Suggestion: get a cheap manifold block (~$20-30 on eBay or Amazon) and supply it with the UIM's EVAP port via an NPT elbow and short hose. This will give you 5-6 ports to supply your HVAC, gauge, FPR, WG, etc. (I might have a similarly hand-drawn diagram, but you get the idea).

3) PCV - here's where it gets tricky... #1, plug a stock PCV valve with JB weld or RTV, to block any flow up through the original location under the L26 MAP (you should run the newer style 2-bar here, if you aren't already). The stock PCV valves aren't great for use in this configuration, and that small pathway isn't worth keeping to puke oil into your UIM.
#1a, cap off the PCV path on top of the UIM, if you have a valve cover option, and cap the N* tube as well, because they only work together properly in N/A and M90 configurations that don't see boost in the TB.
#2, I've had the line to the rear of the air filter before, but not sure it draws much. I currently have a closed catch can, with a check-valved 3/8" hose to the UIM manifold supply line, so it draws from both valve covers under vacuum conditions. I'll be adding an A.I.R. injection pump this month for drawing under boost when the relay harness is triggered by a Hobbs switch ~4psi, but that's extra. You can tinker here, but the exhaust will let you know if it's getting blow-by.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You dezldave961 for the response and I appreciate the info!!

1. Awesome!! Should make life easy for routing..lol
2. Okay perfect. Yes it's funny you mention the block as I completely forgot to mention that was in the plans. The adapter plate from zzp has no port in the bottom of it (so I'm guessing no worries there).
Just to clarify, the blue circle is what I'll be tapping, and the grey/black parts circled is what's needed to be blocked off.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive fuel system

3. Okay, good to know the pcv's are not as usefull. I understand about using the map sensor from the NA manifold, but would an L67 map not be a better option??
As for the plugging the pcv, I think it would be the same difference if the pipe was pulled from the bottom of the uim and have it welded shut? I circled the pipe in blue on the left
Bicycle part Eyewear Rim Electric blue Art

#1a. I was planning on using the stock valve covers and tapping the front or both (if needed) if that'll work?? Good to know about blocking the n* tube off!!

2. Okay interesting. Any chance you have a picture(s) of your engine bay or diagram of how it's laid out??

Very true with the blow-by, just don't want to blow out gaskets or seals trying...lol

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Blue, yes, it's very close for one of the NPT sizes, I forget, but here's a shot of mine with both tapped for whichever fits (top plugged)...
Gas Auto part Metal Automotive tire Nickel

The TB port may be useful for a WG port, being open to the pre-TB blade air. You'll want to familiarize yourself with the principles of turbo vac line pathways for WG and BOV stuff.

The L32-style MAP is a 2-bar like L67, but in the same shape/connector as L36 ones, so they drop into the UIM and read properly for an L67 tune.

Welding on a cast aluminum part that needs to not be warped to seal your intake under vac/boost... vs. a dab of goop into the top of a PCV valve... Easy decision for me. Also, the MAP gets its reference from the opening into the UIM.

So far, I've had good results with at least drawing from vac hose thru a check valve, thru the baffled catch can, out of valve cover/covers. You can try the path to have the under-boost draw from the pre-turbo air, but it's a little less useful in my attempts. You'll probably try a few things, including open breathers, if you want to mess around with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts