3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Powertrain Control Module Security Relearn Procedure

On some vehicles (Bonneville, Regal, Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, and 2004+ Grand Prix) it will be necessary to perform this Security Relearn Procedure before the car can be started. No tools are required to complete this procedure and it can be accomplished 30 to 45 minutes after the PCM is initially installed. You must complete the procedure without opening any of the vehicle doors or trunk. It's best to open the drivers window and reach inside the vehicle to complete the learn procedure.

For Bonneville, Regal, Impala, and Monte Carlo vehicles 1997-2004 and Cobalt, ION 2004-2006:

1. Set the parking brake to disable the daytime running lights system to avoid draining the vehicles battery.

2. Try to start the vehicle by turning the key to the START position (using a

3. Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key). Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.

4. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard or driver information center. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the first time.

5. Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.

6. Try to start the vehicle by turning the key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key). Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.

7. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard or driver information center. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the first time.

8. Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.

9.Try to start the vehicle by turning the key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key). Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.

10. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard or driver information center. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the first time.
Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.

11. Start the vehicle.

For 2004 Grand Prix only:

1. Set the parking brake to disable the daytime running lights system to avoid draining the vehicles battery.

2. Try to start the vehicle by turning key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key).

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the driver information center. Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.

4. After no less than fifteen minutes turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.

5. Try to start the vehicle by turning key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key).

6. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the driver information center. Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.

7. After no less than fifteen minutes turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.

8. Try to start the vehicle by turning key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key).

9. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the driver information center. Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.

10. After no less than fifteen minutes turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.

11. Start the vehicle.

All content and graphics (c) 2002-2007 INTENSE Enterprises, Inc.
INTENSE-Racing: Don't make excuses. Make horsepower.
Don't make excuses. Make horsepower.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Something that may help.

A buddy has an 2004 Impala. The car uses the standard GM Message Center which is a dot matrix display capable of various colors to tell you of many things instead of a dedicated single light for each item. With key on the MC had a scrolling of battery, security, and change oil repeating. My friend couldn't originally get the pcm to learn because he expected the security light to stay on solidly. Being that it rolled, he wasn't sure what to expect. After ~10 minutes the MC rolled from battery to oil change and repeated without security. This is the security light going out for the first time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pcm

Brian,

Thanks for the procedure on the security learn for the 2004 GP, GTP. I am taking it that the Master Pass Key is the resistor key for the car and not just a cut key for it? After the security procedure is done, will there be anything else that I will need to do or should the on board accessories be found in the Security learn process? I am new to this PCM stuff so I want to be sure of what I am doing. Again the computer I am putting in the car is out of another GTP of the same year with the same Service # on it.

One last question," is the year and Service # all that is required off the computer, or should other number match from computer to computer to get the correct one?"

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
After a PCM change a CASE or crankshaft variation learn is recommended.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pcm

Bill,

"After a PCM change a CASE or crankshaft variation learn is recommended".
That is cool, Bill, but how is that done? I was thinking that the case learn would need to be done with the Tech2 GM scanner? Again I am new to the PCM area and I sure do not want to mess things up on the car. I am just getting the body work done now and I want to get it ready to do some modifications on it this spring.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
A Tech 2 is one way. Many mechanics have scan tools capable, as well I've had AutoEnginuity and HP Tuners both have the ability.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pcm

Thanks Bill,

I will check around, I know a couple of places that may have a scanner that will perform the case learn. I really do NOT want to take it to the dealership as they are just out of this world on prices and, well I am sure you know what I mean.

I am getting the PCM from a place that has the exact same year and model of the car that I have, with the same Service #. I have been pondering on just sending the PCM I am getting to Intense-Racing and just have them program the VIN# and everything into it.

The reason for my thought of sending in my PCM was due to the thought of a problem with a code coming up later on and having a scanner used. Will a scanner, Like a Tech2 even communicate with my PCM due to not having the proper VIN# programmed in it, or am I off base? Will the security and case learn procedure make the PCM compatible with a scanner? I know that the numbers on the outside of the PCM will not be correct, but will the internal memory be changed with the security procedure and case learn?

It is my honer to be here on this forum and be to be able to communicate with people like you Bill.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Easiest thing to do is find some locals on this and other forums that may case learn it for a couple beers.

On the Vin, you can have INTENSE program that into the new pcm when it's being done. You could have that new one sent to them so that you can keep your stocker intact in case you want to sell the car down the road and demod.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sometimes you can find service tech's that aren't sticklers at the dealer. One of the dealers i go to, the service writer let his tech do the caselearn under the table, and I just paid him 20 bucks. It's a matter of knowing how and who to approach. Definately don't want to approach the managers LOL.
it's usually senior techs that know the procedure, the newer guys dont' have a clue in my experience searching for cheap case learns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PCM Case learn

Thanks Bill and Steve,

I just received my PCM from ED, I am thinking of putting the unit in the car just to see if it will work, but at this time I do not have a way to do the case learn on the PCM. I am giving second thoughts to just calling Intense- Racing and have them set it up with the VIN# and all of the updates. After that is done all I think I would need to do it a security learn and then be done with it? Hope I am right on this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
PCM security re-learn procedure

Has anyone ever heard of having to do a CASE learn a second time? A year ago I installed a ZZP PCM in my 2000 Gran Prix GT. It ran strong but had a slight hesitation from a dead stop when accelerating slowly. Of course I then found out that the Crankshaft variation position was not learned so I had the dealer do a CASE learn. It ran great for about a year, now I'm having the same hesitation from a dead stop, it seems identical as before. One mechanic tells me that it might need another CASE learn. Others say that it is more likely clogged fuel injectors, clogged fuel filter, or maybe even bad gasoline. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was wondering if by doing the PCM Security Relearn I could use a 2000 regal ls bin file with my 99 ls (unsapported) using a Powrtuner? After writing the pcm the car does not start. I am asuming that by doing this procedure the car will start. Just want to make sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
my 98 Olds intrigue will not do the pcm security relearn for some reason. I turn the key to start and let if fall to the on postion and wait for 10 15 20mins and the light is still on. what do i do now. new pcm for intence. help me please thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
8 Posts
my 98 Olds intrigue will not do the pcm security relearn for some reason. I turn the key to start and let if fall to the on postion and wait for 10 15 20mins and the light is still on. what do i do now. new pcm for intence. help me please thanks guys and gals
Try this:

1) Turn the ignition switch off.
2) Turn the ignition switch all the way from the off to the start position, then leave it in the on position. Note: The engine will not crank.
3) The SECURITY will come on and stay on for at least 10 minutes. (NOTE: the service manual doesn't say anything about the security light turning off after 10min in this car)
4) Turn the ignition switch off for five seconds.
5) Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 again for a second time.
6) Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 again for a third time.
7) Turn the ignition switch off.
8) Turn the ignition switch all the way to the start position. The engine should now start.
-Check for BCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

·
Registered
33 Posts
come to find out i have a b2739 bcm dtc which is key in igntion fault. meaning my igntion cylinder went out, not unexpted cause the car has 250k miles on the orignal keys. replaced that $160 later. now the light flashes, finished the theft deturant relearn, but still not start. i also have a u1255 class 2 communition failer. now that code i have no idea why it came on. before i sent my pcm in for a reflash it would start the car. now with the new pcm they sent me it wont commacate with the bcm to even try to start the car. i've tryed to call intense but no answer or call back. i need to know if they do anything in the reflash about the bcm or is it just reflash the engine and trans parts

·
Registered
8 Posts
come to find out i have a b2739 bcm dtc which is key in igntion fault. meaning my igntion cylinder went out, not unexpted cause the car has 250k miles on the orignal keys. replaced that $160 later. now the light flashes, finished the theft deturant relearn, but still not start. i also have a u1255 class 2 communition failer. now that code i have no idea why it came on. before i sent my pcm in for a reflash it would start the car. now with the new pcm they sent me it wont commacate with the bcm to even try to start the car. i've tryed to call intense but no answer or call back. i need to know if they do anything in the reflash about the bcm or is it just reflash the engine and trans parts
What programming did they put on the PCM? Was it based on a Grand Prix or some other car since the Olds Intrigue never came with the 3800 SC engine? If so, this could be your problem...

Circuit Description for DTC U1255
The BCM receives a vehicle security powertrain status message from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) through the Class II serial data link when turning the ignition switch on.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The BCM sets DTC U1255 when the BCM does not receive a vehicle security powertrain status message from the PCM within one minute of turning ignition switch on.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
-The BCM stores DTC U1255 in memory.
-The SERVICE VEHICLE SOON indicator lamp turns on.
-The BCM sends a message to the instrument cluster to turn on the SECURITY indicator lamp through the Class II serial data link.
If the programming used in the PCM is not set up to send that "vehicle security powertrain status message", then this could be what your problem is, according to the above. 98 Grand Prix's didn't have VATS/VTD enabled from the factory in the PCM programming. 98 Regal GS's did, but that was a PassKey2 (PK2) system and not PassLock like your Olds uses. The Regal's PK2 system communicated thru the Class 2 data bus, like your Olds system uses, even though the two cars used two different VATS/VTD systems. You might be able to use Regal GS programming on your PCM and it may work with your PassLock system, but I have never tried it. If that turns out to not work, then the only solution I can think of is to use Olds Intrigue L36 base programming and just modify that to work with the L67 engine using a 1-bar MAP sensor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yea it was based on the gtp. my car does have the pk2 system like the regal's. i'll have to call intense and ask them to use a regal and not a gp flash. but i did ask if they could use my orginal pcm and just flash the gtp engine program on it,but they said it wouldnt work something about the drivers are not on my orginal pcm

·
Registered
8 Posts
yea it was based on the gtp. my car does have the pk2 system like the regal's.
Not according to the service manual for the 98 Olds Intrigue:

Passlock Theft Deterrent
The Passlock is a vehicle theft deterrent system. The Passlock theft deterrent system contains a Passlock sensor. The Passlock sensor is part of the ignition lock cylinder assembly. The Body Control Module (BCM) provides power and ground to the Passlock sensor. The Passlock sensor interfaces with the BCM through the Passlock detection circuit 1836.

When turning the ignition switch to the start position with the proper key, the Passlock sensor generates an analog voltage signal. This signal is sent through the Passlock detecting circuit. This analog voltage signal is of a specific value to the vehicle, and varies from vehicle to vehicle. When attempting to start the engine, the BCM compares a preset stored analog voltage value with the signal coming from the sensor. Because both values match, the BCM sends a fuel enable password via the Class II serial data link to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). As a result, the PCM enables the crank relay, and allows fuel delivery to the engine.

When attempting to start the engine by means other than using the proper key in the ignition switch, the Passlock sensor sends a analog voltage signal of a different value. The BCM compares the preset stored analog voltage value with the signal coming from the Passlock sensor. Because both values do not match, the BCM sends a fuel disable password via the Class II serial data link to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). As a result, the PCM disables the crank relay, and does not allow fuel delivery to the engine.
superchageredolds said:
i'll have to call intense and ask them to use a regal and not a gp flash. but i did ask if they could use my orginal pcm and just flash the gtp engine program on it,but they said it wouldnt work something about the drivers are not on my orginal pcm
Same PCM was used in 1998 Olds Intrigue L36 as was used in 98 Grand Prix L67 and 98 Regal GS L67.

Part interchange info straight from GM:

ACDelco Parts

I would give the 98 Regal GS programming a shot and see if it works anyway, even though it was used with PK2 and not PassLock. What do you have to lose?

·
Registered
33 Posts
they(intence) told me that they use the gp pcm is because its the least secure of all the pcms. i got another pcm sent to me from intence but the security light just stays on wont turn off. when i do the process i have a set of jumper cables between my olds and another car thats running just so the battery doesnt die, then roll down the driver window, turn the car off for a few seconds, turn the igintion to the run possition, then let it fall to run, and wait for the security light to turn off, never does. even tried just turnin the key off at 10mins and try the process but nothin. i still have a check engine light on. dont have a scanner handy to check codes to see if its anything else but when i did the first time with the tech2 it was igntion switch and the communtion failer and that was it. so if anyone can help me figure out whats causing my problem, be a big help. i think intence is getting anoyed at me for the same problem

1 - 20 of 29 Posts