3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my "stock PCM" PA ultra shifts WOT between 5000 and 6000 rpm.. isnt this not normal??? :icon_conf
now im scared of hurting the motor without doing some mods first

i have a CAI, thats all.. my other mods ( pulley, stat, pcm) arent installed yet

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
do you have any tuning software?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have any tuning software?
nope.. just bought the car from an older fella.. retired doctor.. car was driven to florida every winter.. the care is bone stock ( i assume) except the CAI i put on.. i have lag at 30 mph where it wont downshift.. the usual.. but sometimes i really giver' and i can rev it up past 5000 sometimes close to 6000 rpm.. odd no? from what i read these cars should wot shift at around 4000rpm.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
nope.. just bought the car from an older fella.. retired doctor.. car was driven to florida every winter.. the care is bone stock ( i assume) except the CAI i put on.. i have lag at 30 mph where it wont downshift.. the usual.. but sometimes i really giver' and i can rev it up past 5000 sometimes close to 6000 rpm.. odd no? from what i read these cars should wot shift at around 4000rpm.
fined TinyTuner and get a copy. I will fined a bin file for you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still dont understand why my 'stock' car shifts that high.....

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
This is 100% OE

These are what we call Constants. These parameters do not vary

This is a list of Tables that JET has

This is in Normal Mode and these are the shift speed by MPH vs TPS

This is the Normal Mode WOT shift speeds by MPH

This is the Normal Mode WOT Shift RPM

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks..
i thought it shifted much lower in (normal mode)... guess i heard wrong

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Pick up a copy of tiny tuner from Eddie.
I can post or send you the bin file I have

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Those shift points seem all wrong to my PAU.

Mine are:

Pick up a copy of tiny tuner from Eddie.
I can post or send you the bin file I have

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Does L36 have different gear ratio?

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
If anything, worse... My friend's 03 Bonnie has a 2.84 or so gear. Yuk.... It is lethargic. But he has 35/35 chain ratio, so he can just swap differential, where mine has 37/33 and 3.29's, so I get the cursed 2.93's..... I would much rather have 3.69's....

Does L36 have different gear ratio?

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I have shifted mine at 6000 rpm, is fine, look at the 3800 bottom end, you will see, very tough, cross bolted mains.

Don't try to shift over 6000 rpm, the high rpm spark kicks in around 5800-6000 depending on year, and kills timing to 0 degress murdering power quickly.

But without mods the car is about as fast as it will get with stock shift points, you might eek a smidgen out more with a tad more rpm, but the reality is it doesn't breathe well enough at higher rpms without the downpipe getting swapped out.

my "stock PCM" PA ultra shifts WOT between 5000 and 6000 rpm.. isnt this not normal??? :icon_conf
now im scared of hurting the motor without doing some mods first

i have a CAI, thats all.. my other mods ( pulley, stat, pcm) arent installed yet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts