3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this code before GPG, at first my car seemed fine, but now the TC doesn't feel like enguages. Other symtoms:

-Under very light throttle, car won't shift into 4th until I let off the throttle.
-Transmission temps heat up very fast and will sit around 225-228F in 3rd gear. haven't tried to drive in D much cuz the temps seems to climb into the 230's when i did that.
-Only once did I hear a whirling type noise as I accelerated from a stop sign, went away after the first shift.
-Almost feels like the car is idling a bit different. Hard to say exactly what it is.... more rpms sometimes maybe.... or maybe I am trying to find something odd.
-Car makes a different noise when it started up today. As the rpm's spiked when I started the car, there was a different noise from the engine bay. Hard to say what it was, and I wasn't interested in trying to make my car do it again.
-At GPG, my code did go off by itself and then came back later... Not sure if that was due to me driving in 3rd, and not going very fast for a few small trips.
-Was told to pull the TCC fuse to see what happens. Car was slow as hell, and never shifted, even after I took it up to 30mph. Is this normal operation for when the TCC fuse is pulled? I was told by Big Jeff that by pulling that fuse, the TC would be locked, and we could see what it did to help locate the problem.

Oh, and I got a C-Ya Later transmission w/ LSD, ;) 3.29 gears, and who knows what kind of TC. I heard it might be a Sunfire TC.

I am going to a transmission shop tomorrow, and they will help me find the problem. I will let you all know what they say.

-steve

·
Banned
189 Posts
Steve,

Did you have a chance to check brake switch activity
with a tech 2 per our conversation before G.P.G.?
I don't like your trans temps, however, an unlocked converter will cause this. Without physically working on your car, I tend to agree with John Freimuth in that valve
body or t.c.c. solenoid issues are the culprit. I would recommend a different converter as well. The one you have is outdated in the grand scheme of things

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this same problem as well.... sort of anyhow. I have figured out why my TCC would not engage. The loser tranny shop I had do my 'performance' rebuild didn't install the freakin oil diverter tube inside the freakin input shaft!!! Unfortunatly, I didn't realize the TCC problem until my tranny reached 250*!
I have flushed it and replaced some selinoids, kinda sloppy shifts now, but not bad.
it is coming back out this weekend for the replacement input shaft parts and possibly some new clutches.
Any advice on what else I should look for that could have been damaged from the heat?

Rocky

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trans fluid perfect.

Jeff: no i didn't get a chance to get a tech II on my car. but if the brake switch was stuck, wouldn't it set a code for that? While browsing through the list of codes, I thought I saw a brake switch code....

I got a pretty decent quote on changing out the solenoids, fluid, and converter (modified stock to be stronger, and 2800 stall), from a local trans shop. I wish I had the money for an Intense trans, but I don't.. :( so I will probably try this and hope for the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I am having similar issues and I was wondering what was the fix for this?

I threw the code after taking a long trip
P0741 -- Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or stuck off.

The RPMs stay at 3000 RPMS when ever I travel at 60mph or above

it is shifting into 4th.

no other codes have been set with this code

other than the high RPMs shifting is fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pulled the TCC Fuse #31

Car lost all its power and threw 3 SES lights

P0758
P0753
p1860

From my understanding that means the TCC is in fact locking up.....correct?

I was told if you pull the fuse the TCC locks up

·
Registered
9 Posts
no the TCC will NOT lockup if you pull the fuse. It wouldn't be possible, it would burn up at stops.

most likely your problem is the TCC selinoid in the tranny. Do you have a stock or aftermarket convertor?

The best way to check for actual lockup is to go out on the highway and at cruising slightly start to step on the gas, 1/8 to 1/4 more than what you have the pedal at, The RPMS should not rise much more than a few hundred RPMS ( unless it 'kicks' out of lockup)

if your RPMS rise several hundered ( 500-750) or more, then your TC is not locking. in my experience it's most likely the selinoiod, unless you have been hard on the TC then possible the convertor itself.

Rocky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mr. Hat said:
most likely your problem is the TCC selinoid in the tranny. Do you have a stock or aftermarket convertor?
Pro Torque 3000 Stall

I will try the highway method of testing and see what happens as soon as I can....

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Another easy way to check the TC is again at highway speeds, hold a steady throttle, wait till the RPM's stabilize, then with your left foot, depress the brake pedal just enough to engage the brake lights. If the TC is locked, engaging the brake lights should unlock it and the RPM's should rise several hundred RPM's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
would it be possible that it locks at low speeds like in 1st through 3rd but not lock in 4th?

that is what it appears to be doing now....but I will try both methods later to see what happens

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dino GtX

Iam new here and I been reading a lot of things ..anyway..my quesion is my gas milage on my 97 GTX is been going down I was doing close to 30 mile on high way and 24 on city I did everything change sparg plugs,new belts..etc then I noticed the TC it takes along time to engage.. so Iwas woundering if anyone knows the inputs and sensors that detemine weather the tc is allowed to lock or not,like engine coolant temp,thrittle position vehical speed,or the PRNDL position.or the tc selonoid..

·
Registered
131 Posts
any progress on this? i dont think mine is loking at all. my gears feel weird, especially downshifts... and i have 0 lockup im almost positive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
TCC solenoid is the BIG culprit in these problems. Mine is going bad. I've had mine on the TECH II and it showed mine spiking. That's why my engine is surging in full lock-up. My problem started right after having the tranny fluid changed at 50K miles BEFORE any mods were done. There are GM service bullitens on the TCC and valve bodies for this car.

·
Registered
240 Posts
TCC solenoid is the BIG culprit in these problems. Mine is going bad. I've had mine on the TECH II and it showed mine spiking. That's why my engine is surging in full lock-up. My problem started right after having the tranny fluid changed at 50K miles BEFORE any mods were done. There are GM service bullitens on the TCC and valve bodies for this car.
yes there are TSBs on this subject... however GM still does maintain that throwing a VB at it is not the fix... in fact the dealers have to justify the replacement of a VB under warranty items.

my suggestion is that you might check into a TCC brake switch first... if that is not the case... then you would need to check the TCC PWM sol and TCC apply sol for resistance values vs spec.

that start up noise could be... now no one has mentioned what years they are talking about... but in 98-99 they had problems with input shaft bearings going out [the one that supports the tcc and drive chain assemblies] if you check for noise at the bellhousing area at startup and the noise is there then you probably have this concern. if your whine is not loudest around the bellhousing then check alt etc for the noise [it could be conicidence that you have an alt noise while having trans issue]

there are also on some models... [again i have no info on what is being worked on] there is a little found ground on the inside of the engine compartment on the unibody frame rail by the left strut mount [ this having corrosion issues causes funny things with the tcc and it's shifting since it is one of the trans ground points.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I am having similar issues and I was wondering what was the fix for this?

I threw the code after taking a long trip
P0741 -- Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or stuck off.

The RPMs stay at 3000 RPMS when ever I travel at 60mph or above

it is shifting into 4th.

no other codes have been set with this code

other than the high RPMs shifting is fine.
is says that the trans is in 4th... but i suspect that you actually are in 3rd gear at that point based on engine rpm numbers 3 grand is way high even for the tcc to be locked out of the loop with that code.

try driving in manual 3rd at 60 and see if rpms are same.. you may have burned out 4th.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Iam new here and I been reading a lot of things ..anyway..my quesion is my gas milage on my 97 GTX is been going down I was doing close to 30 mile on high way and 24 on city I did everything change sparg plugs,new belts..etc then I noticed the TC it takes along time to engage.. so Iwas woundering if anyone knows the inputs and sensors that detemine weather the tc is allowed to lock or not,like engine coolant temp,thrittle position vehical speed,or the PRNDL position.or the tc selonoid..
tps loss of signal or going wot will lock out tcc
brake switch pressed will lock out tcc
current gear will lock out tcc
trans fluid temp [not engine] will lock out tcc
vss must be above 45 mph for tcc to begin applying
full lockup will not occur below 55mph, it pulse widths the tcc apply from 45-55mph. tcc slip speed will be between 25-50rpm 0 slip speed at 55mph and up

·
Registered
240 Posts
Steve,
I would recommend a different converter as well. The one you have is outdated in the grand scheme of things

BIG JEFF
just because tcc is "outdated" doesn't mean that there are things wrong with it... careful on advising major cost replacements like this... removing the trans is ALWAYS the LAST option...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Pulled the TCC Fuse #31

Car lost all its power and threw 3 SES lights

P0758
P0753
p1860

From my understanding that means the TCC is in fact locking up.....correct?

I was told if you pull the fuse the TCC locks up
incorrrect the fuse out gives no feed to the power side of the sol and therefore will keep it off...

it will put the trans into a preprogramed state and will not rely on the learned shift adaptives that you have put into it by driving it. it runs a program and doesn't care what the outside influences are. [ie your foot]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts