3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Proud Supporter of 3800PRO
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you may know I recently intalled a set of Pacesetter Ceramic-coated headers. I purchased the ZZP Pro Kit and after reading some info on the hardware's shortcomings (Pacesetter) I decided to take it a step further. Originally I had installed the paper manifold gaskets (along with a thin coat of Ultra-Copper on both sides of the gaskets) that Pacesetter supplied with the hardware with larger flanged grade 8 bolts for the manifolds. I had foreseen the Y-pipe problem and decided to go with the ZZP Pro kit for a tighter fit. Also I had read before the install to purchase a set of steel band-clamps from Napa instead of going with the cheapies Pacesetter supplied. Funny thing I bought my reducer clamps from ZZP ( steel band-clamps) and after purchasing the others form Napa realized they were the same brand (Easy Seal). After reading on the forum I noticed a few compalints ( and I think 1HOT97) even chimed in about the short life of the paper manifold gaskets. This is when I talked to Todd at Intense and he advised going with the GM metal gaskets as did others advise also. I even applied a thin coat of Ultra-Copper on these as well. I purchased and installed the GM gaskets and also bought some ARP header bolts and Intense boot protectors while I was at it. I figured better to do it now than take the system back apart later ( the engine had not been run). FYI I also replaced the O2 sensor. I was really impressed with the Easy-Seal clamps. They form a air-tight seal on the piping, especially when you also use a little Ultra-Copper just in case. So needless to say no leaks, running great. Then after a few test drives I made the trip into work (everything fine). On the way home SES light appears. Pull the code P0133. Checked the connections at the 02 extension harness, okay there. Cleared the code, watched the data, didn't really see anything off hand. Went down to the parts store where I purchased the Bosch 02 and got a replacement. Installed test drove and no problems that night (2 trips: roughly 10 miles). Today go to work and no problems. Coming home SES light comes on again. P0133. So I dove into the GM manuals, checked my extension harness again, checked for exhaust leaks, found none. Even tightened clamps at Y-pipe just for good measure. As of a few minutes ago I do a search on P0133 on the forum here and see that I'm not the only one who's had this problem after installing headers. Apparently some others have had the same problem after installing headers and replacing their 02 with yes, a Bosch. What to do?:hmmmm:

·
Proud Supporter of 3800PRO
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I finally solved the problem with the DTC. I had ordered a AC Delco (Delphi) sensor from the local parts store here. In the meantime while awaiting that item to be shipped I decided to take yet another look at the Y-Pipe joint. It had seemed as though when I was under the vehicle with my stethsocope a few days earlier I had heard what I thought was a little bit of excessive noise noise coming from the rear manifold connection to the Y-pipe in comparison to the other side. When I mean a little bit folks I mean a little bit. With that in the back of my mind I decided to go ahead and remove the steel-band clamp which I believed could be baffling a little of the noise. I actually had a step-down style band clamp which was a little smaller ( I believe it was a 2-1/4 - 2-1/2).
Installed that with yet again some Ultra-copper in the right places and after torqueing it down "gorilla tight" the code has not surfaced for about three days (knock on wood). Yesterday I got the 02 sensor in and installed it, the parts store manager was nice enough to take it back. As I believe I had stated earlier while monitoring the playback data of the DTC it showed a very very minute amount of lag time. So small without the code being set I would have never been able to tell. I really believe this was some form of backwashing of air into the exhaust stream causing this. So for all who read this and find themselves in this situation with the Pacesetter headers I recommend that you should do the following:

-Use GM metal gaskets (OEM) with a thin coat of Ultra-Copper
-You might want to go ahead and and have the crossover-pipe welded to the Y-pipe (remember to do a test fit first and mark your pipe's relation to one another). I didn't but it is definately a good idea if you haven't installed the headers yet.
-Always, always use a official GM, AC Delco (Delphi) or Nippon-Denso 02 Sensor
-Use a GM gasket on the Down-pipe connection (along with a thin coat of Ultra-Copper)
-Definately use Steel-band clamps for your connections ( I find that you can coat the pipe with Ultra-copper before installing the clamp for an even better seal). An SLP kit will have these as well as they can be purchased at NAPA parts stores.

With that said, I'm off to better things now like focusing on my next venture.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts