3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Over sized radiator for the gtps really help you as far as lowerin kr? :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect! You just saved me 200+$$$$$$$ :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't speak to the supercharged engine, but after my stock 1/4 inch radiator hit 200,000 miles, she was not getting the job done in day to day driving. Since adding the oversized radiator; the car has run really cool. Going to WOT only barly moves the needle upwards. This will help big time in doing the power adder thing. :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know that cooling issues are something I am pretty concerned about.

I am trying to figure out what to do with my set up currently. I am running the electric water pump and can't keep the car cool down south. THere is a fine line here...above 90deg outside temp, and I have issues with the car getting hot.

Jeff recommended that I clean the radiator fins. Which did help quite a bit. but the problem still persits. Not sure if a bigger radiator would help, but maybe a more efficient radiator. I have been talking with 2 radiator/heat exchanger manufacturers about a more efficient radiator.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Blackice GTP said:
I know that cooling issues are something I am pretty concerned about.

I am trying to figure out what to do with my set up currently. I am running the electric water pump and can't keep the car cool down south. THere is a fine line here...above 90deg outside temp, and I have issues with the car getting hot.

Jeff recommended that I clean the radiator fins. Which did help quite a bit. but the problem still persits. Not sure if a bigger radiator would help, but maybe a more efficient radiator. I have been talking with 2 radiator/heat exchanger manufacturers about a more efficient radiator.
Sounds like the same issue we face here in Texas. I've also heard that the electric water pump does not cool as well as advertised. Great for the track but lacking n day to day driving. A more efficient radiator is a viable alternative.

·
Vendor
260 Posts
For those that are having problems with the radiators... As the cars get older, the radiators get clogged with crud, bugs, tar, bits of cow, etc. :)

Pull the radiator out and hit it with some high pressure air (from the back!). This will force all of the crap out. After you get it with air, hit it with some water and this should take care of the rest. Get a fin comb and try to straighten the fins also.

The above should help 90% of those out there but if you really want the additional cooling: Link to our oversized radiator

Or you can keep an eye out for our true dual core radiator coming soon to a theater near you! ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
true dual core radiator?!?!

I must know about this product...

Do they exist on other cars? What kind of enhancements would they offer?

I was planning on upgrading my cooling system with an oversized radiator, high flow fan kit, and heat dispersing hoses to couple with my eletrical water pump. I want to basically run the best cooling combination of setups available on the market as I plan to make a extremely modded car into a daily driver. This double core radiator interests me a ton ;)

·
Vendor
260 Posts
covert420 said:
true dual core radiator?!?!

I must know about this product...

Do they exist on other cars? What kind of enhancements would they offer?
Some significant cooling increases over stock and a lighter design; more or less perfect for a track car.

I was planning on upgrading my cooling system with an oversized radiator, high flow fan kit, and heat dispersing hoses to couple with my eletrical water pump. I want to basically run the best cooling combination of setups available on the market as I plan to make a extremely modded car into a daily driver. This double core radiator interests me a ton ;)
In my opinion ditch the electric pump. We've found that they're best for cars that run on the track a lot but for street cars highway speed cooling isn't as efficient as the pump is turning at one speed all the time. Low speed and idle cooling is great with them though. You have to weigh the options and determine if it's going to benefit you where you drive your car the most (city or highway).

·
Registered
54 Posts
On the highway I think I see what you are saying. However, here in Texas we have 90+ degree days a lot! When one is in stop and go traffic; the overside radiator and electric water pump I feel would complement each other. And it would be nice to have for my runs at the track, not to mention the 3.5hp it should free up on my L36.

·
Registered
42 Posts
mike, do you know of any way to add the eletrical waterpumps enhanced rotors/vanes to the stock pulley charges water pump? The ones seen in this picture...

·
Registered
2 Posts
trans cooler and intercooler problems

I just got my car back from a 10 month rebuild and added an intercooler, cam, trans cooler LSD and 2.6 pulley...i've been babing it as i await tunning. Any reason why after 15, 20 minutes i start running hot?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mike, when id your dual core radiator come out?

You say its lighter too? How? Is it oversized? If not, would there be an oversized model in the future?

I have many questions. Its a product I am looking forward to :)

Also, what do you think about coupling it with a supposed heat dispersing radiator hose? www.coolflex.com I was thinking it may disperse into the engine bay (which I dont want) while cooling the liquid, but I could wrap it with like refletrix and get optimal results.

Also, I found 1 dual core radiator on the market @ www.becool.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike, well after getting right to the shop after i noticed it the first time it sat for 5 days i didnt want to chance ruining it. i brought it home saturday and drove it all day monday with the heat on and it stayed normal till i let it run idle, then went a little warm like 195-205 but went back down once i started going again.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Has it been tried, to boost the voltage to the Meziere pump up a little bit more to get it to spin faster to match the factory one at highway speeds? If so, was it very efficient?

·
Vendor
260 Posts
covert420 said:
Mike, when id your dual core radiator come out?
It hasn't yet. ;)

You say its lighter too? How? Is it oversized? If not, would there be an oversized model in the future?
"Oversized" is a marketing term. Dual core is oversized in my opinion. The radiator will be plenty sufficient. :)

Also, what do you think about coupling it with a supposed heat dispersing radiator hose? www.coolflex.com I was thinking it may disperse into the engine bay (which I dont want) while cooling the liquid, but I could wrap it with like refletrix and get optimal results.
Wrapping it would actually negate it's heat dissapation abilities thus leaving you with a very expensive, funny looking, radiator hose. :) Save your money there.

Also, I found 1 dual core radiator on the market @ www.becool.com
Is this for the W Body application or just a generic double core?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ment "when is", not "when did". So when is it coming out?

Is there anything I could wrap around the hose that could absorb heat? Like aliminum mesh. Honestly, I think cooler coolant is better then a minor ammount of heat radiating into the engine bay.

Oversized is Oversized, as in larger then a normal radiator. Not a marketing term =P So is it larger then a normal radiator? Those BeCool radiators are dual core, but smaller then normal radiators. Just an example =P And no, those arent w-body specific applications.

·
Vendor
260 Posts
covert420 said:
I ment "when is", not "when did". So when is it coming out?
Understood. Most likely 1st quarter 05'
Is there anything I could wrap around the hose that could absorb heat? Like aliminum mesh. Honestly, I think cooler coolant is better then a minor ammount of heat radiating into the engine bay.
Anything that you wrap around the hose still has to dissapate heat somewhere else. That somewhere else is going to be the engine bay. You have to weight the benefits and determine whether or not you think it's worth it.

Oversized is Oversized, as in larger then a normal radiator.
It's all relative. ;) All things equal, a dual core in the stock size is going to outcool an "oversized" single core radiator which is why we're going this route.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has a dual core radiator with fans in the middle ever been considered? Just a thought.

And, BeCool is a generic radiator. Has me questioning its performance. I would rather wait for the W-Body radiator, but you guys need to hurry up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts