3800Pro Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
If it's original on a 1998, it's probably time to replace it anyway. I don't think I'd worry about getting an extra reinforced hose. Is your upper rad hose ballooning? It's probably time to change all your hoses together if they haven't been done.

However, Chris makes a good point. Check to see how firm the hose is. If it's quite firm, I suppose it could mean you have a blockage in your radiator. When I asked what the condition of your radiator was, I meant more the inside as visible through the radiator cap opening. If you see a lot of sludge buildup inside, it's time for a new radiator.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Here's a couple of other facts to look into for the over-heating at higher speeds. If the lower hose keeps colasping after replacement, the "core" of the radiator may be partially plugged in which case you would have to get another radiator. Once the tubes in the core get plugged hard, flushing will not get it out. AND, the next problem is VERY common here in Minn and probably every else. Look between the radiator and AC condensor. If there is any debris (leaves, fuzz, dust/dirt build up etc) on the front face of the radiator core, clean it off and your problem may just come to an end. I usually use a garden hose and a nozzle that will narrow to a high pressure stream. Using this method, skim sideways or top to bottom over the core face and the stream of water will peal this debris right off. You can also go thru from the engine side where the fans are and blow it off going thru the core from there. I see this all the time during summer including my wife's Olds. It too was over heating at freeway speeds. After radiator face cleaning, it was good as new.

Try it, you'll like it, Jake L.

·
Registered
3 Posts
most common coolant issues

did you bleed the cooling system, one of the most commonly missed steps is to rid the cooling system of air when a complete drain is done, air builds up at the T-stat and yadda yadda, granted you were running it without a T- stat but that can also have a negative affect since it cant open and close at the appropriate times the coolant in the radiator doesnt have time to cool down with outside air, what kind of mix are you using straight 50/50, and have the radiator cap checked it has to hold i thnk it was like 16 lbs of pressure to increase the boiling temp of the coolant/water. If its none of that and sadly 9 times out of 10 its the cap itself (which i know sounds so simple its stupid but it really is the most neglected part fo the cooling system but in a lot of ways the most important. hope all of this helps good luck.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.