3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OR pushrods needed on adjustable gen 3 rockers?

I just got my adjustable gen 3 rockers to use with my Intense S1 cam. I noticed that the pushrod seat has only a small hole to allow oil through, just like an Oil restricted pushrod. Would this limit the oil going to the rocker effectively, or is there a lot of oil that will leak out of the pushrod seat when it is on the downwards slope of the cam lobe?

Ideal question is do I still need OR pushrods or will these kinda do the same thing?

Steve

·
Registered
713 Posts
if you are camming your car it is recommended that you upgrade pushrods and the OR rods are the proper rods to use with those rockers, although, lightweight pushrods can be used.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Oil comes up through the lifters into the pushrods, then onto the rockers. A full needle bearing rocker doesn't need much oil. Normally the oil helps lubricate and cool the fulcrum against the valve, but on a roller tip it's not neccessary. The good thing about restricting the oil here is that it helps keep it in the bottom end where you need it. The only problem with an OR pushrod is that oil may force it's way to the sides of the pushrod at the top of the lifter due to pressure. Instead of that oil draining back through the head to the pan, it runs down the center of the block and the crank has to slice though it. This could cause windage problems at high revs, although I haven't heard anybody in the community complaining about windage issues...yet. The best way to fix this is to run a solid roller lifter, and restrict the bores that feed the lifters. I had this setup on a car with a mechanical cam, and it's the hot ticket. You can run a low pressure oil pump (read: less HP to drive) and still get the benefits of high pressure in the bottom end. Only problem is, no one to my knowledge is making a solid roller cam, or even solid rollers. Hydraulic lifters are for street cars...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the pros/cons of OR pushrods, but does anyone know if by restricting the oil hole on the rocker itself limits oil flow to the rocker? Or does the oil squirt out and down the side of the pushrod?

·
Registered
187 Posts
You need OR rods with stock lifters. If you switch to the comp ones use te LWT rods. BTW they are GENERATION 3 rockers NOT STAGE 3. you'll be fine with them I have had them on my car for about 15k and no problems. There is a suffecent amount of oil being fed to the rocker. The purpose of the metering is to keep oil in the lifter so it doesn't collapse int he upper rpm range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts