3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out the DEI CryO2 fuel cooler and something sparked in my mind and I had a great idea. Obviously the CryO2 kit has it's downfalls: #1. you can't run it constantly because you'll run out of CO2, #2. It cost money to refill the CO2 tank, #3 the kit itself is costly.

My design is a self contained system that runs constantly, that could produce the same results as the CryO2 kit at way less of a price. Also would be easier to install.

Those computer guys out there may understand me better on this. The design invloves a peltier cooler (the kind they use on CPU's) and a copper CPU water block from a computer Liquid cooling system.

Water block http://www.directron.com/maze21.html (something along these lines)

Peltier http://www.directron.com/peltier1.html

You would hookup the water block inline in the fuel line just before the fuel rail, then attach the peltier with the cold side to the block. Then as the fuel runs through the frozen block it will be cooled. Keep in mind the peltier can reach temps way below 0 degrees. Some of the ones I was looking at could go down to -60 degrees. All it takes to run is electricity, so it's maintenaince free. Also, most peltiers have a life of 100,000 hours or so. After I try it out, If anybody wants I'll post a parts list so you can build the kit yourself. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Jon,

This comes up every now and then. The reason they wouldn't work well in our applications is due to the amount of BTUs required to make a significant diffrence. The amount of cooling required to draw any significant temp out of the air stream at WOT is way more than these units can provide. To help put things into perspective, remember that a reasonably healthy car will pull in 600 - 700 CFM. In other words 10 - 12 cubic feet per SECOND. Think about what it would take to cool off that much air even 10 degrees on a continual basis.

John

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like if the fuel were running through a block that has temps of -50 degrees, that it would get pretty cold even if the fuel passed through very quick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts