3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2000 SSEI and the oil pressure has gone from 40 PSI to 120 PSI in just one day. Had an oil change 2 weeks ago. Engine does not run rough and stays cool at about 200 degrees. Checked oil and is full.
Please any help would be greatful. THX.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Sounds like you might have a defective oil pressure sender.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Is it possible to put another gauge on to check against the first gauges reading ? So you can either blame or eliminate the gauge.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 2000, mine did this also.. it's still sitting at 120, never got around to changing it :)

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy all,

Every time I have seen this problem, it has been a stuck
oil pressure relief valve plunger in the timing cover. Usually a piece of debris will cause it to bind in its bore.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
128 Posts
So... does it mean it's really at 120?? *highly doubtful* Or are you saying the plunger for the sender is the part that is stuck?

·
Registered
713 Posts
i had this happen and the pressure built up so high it was blowing out the seals on oil filters, had to take it apart and clean it, then put it back together

·
Registered
713 Posts
Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but if the oil pressure relief plunger was stuck closed would you get a constant 120 pressure ? surely at idle it would still drop back some.
If the plunger was stuck open you would get the opposite with a low pressure would you not ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yea, I was popping off filter w/80psi....Seems to me you have a faulty sender. I definitly would screw a manual (tool) gauge in and check it. If you blow your fiter off while driving its all over. Well for the most part-if you can shut down in time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
same problem

wat didnt u change? i have this same problem and i not sure how 2 fix..... 01 ssei bonnie- oil pressure 40 to 120

·
Registered
4 Posts
high oil pressure

hey. wat did u find out. i have same problem. i'm also knew 2 this site. hope i already didn't ask u this question...

·
Registered
767 Posts
i have this same problem and i not sure how 2 fix..... 01 ssei bonnie- oil pressure 40 to 120
is this on a seperate mechanical gauge or are you going by the cluster gauge?
if it's a mech gauge there's only a few things that would cause this, plugged passage, pressure relief valve stuck closed or thick as hell oil...
if it's the dash gague the sender or wiring could be bad with the remote possibility the gauge went bonkers...

thumbs up on the search but we need more info on your issue...

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanx

im going by the cluster gauge in the dashboard.. it just happened. a mechanic will test pressure of engine for 80 dollars. not sure if i should do this if its just a bad sensor or a stuck pressure release valve. maybe its the gaug? that is prolly step one..... i think it is prolly the pressure release valve- is that easy to fix?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My oil pressure runs about 70-75 psi at idle, once its warmed up it drops to about 65-70. I run 20-50 oil though.

·
Registered
767 Posts
im going by the cluster gauge in the dashboard.. it just happened. a mechanic will test pressure of engine for 80 dollars. not sure if i should do this if its just a bad sensor or a stuck pressure release valve. maybe its the gaug? that is prolly step one..... i think it is prolly the pressure release valve- is that easy to fix?
if you get a T you can hook both the mech and electric gauges up. personally i'd hang the mech on anyways, but these oil pressure senders are known to fail by passing oil through to the electrical terminals, if it's unplugged and the female wire terminals are oily (trust me you can tell) chances are the issue lies with the electric oil pressure sensor. other possibilities include chafed/grounded wire or a gauge issue, start with the sensor, and visually inspect the wires...i have had clusters (if your good you can replace just the gauge) go bad but in my experience the oil senders are the proverbial "thousands of lemmings off a cliff"...
good luck
regards, James

1 - 20 of 24 Posts