3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I rebuilt my bottom end, I shoved a little 5/16" nut in the oil pressure regulator to boost oil pressure a little. I noticed that intense had a kit for it on thier website, so I figured it must be beneficial.

WHen the engine is cold and below 2800rpm, the oil pressure is about 90psi. it I rev it up past 3000rpm, the pressure will shoot up to almost 120psi. I figure that isn't good for the engine, so I try to avoid doing that.

Once at op temperature, the pressure will stabilize at 60psi at idle, and raise to 90psi above idle.

I currently use mobil 1 10w-30 oil. SInce I have high pressure, should I use a thinner oil to reduce the ultra high cold pressure? What are the operating characteristics of the intense oil pressure kit?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Did you install the Intense Oil preasure kit? Also you said you shoved a little nut in there first, do you have both the nut and the Intense kit installed?

I have the Intense kit and my PSI is about 75-80 at WOT and about 55-60 at idle

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the intense kit. I just put a little nut in the plunger cup, right before the spring.

When my system was stock, it would be at 60psi from idle to readline. It never fluctuated.

I am curious if I am destroying anything by having such high oil pressure. I figured that it would increase bearing life.

I got bored one day and put another 5/16" nut in the regulator, for a total of two. I started the engine, and the oil filter exploded. Literally. Oil went everywhere. I went to the store to replace my defective oil filter and installed another one. That one exploded as well. I figured out that I had a little too much pressure. It was a good laugh and a couple hours of fun.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Too much Oil Pressure is not always a good thing. Bearing washout would be one of my main concerns. The filter going into "bypass" would be another, to name two off the top of my head.

·
Registered
134 Posts
malice10985 said:
I started the engine, and the oil filter exploded. Literally. Oil went everywhere. I went to the store to replace my defective oil filter and installed another one. That one exploded as well. I figured out that I had a little too much pressure. It was a good laugh and a couple hours of fun.
Damn dude...you must like to clean up oil.

The engine I'm building up will have the INTENSE adjustable kit on it. I dont plan to install any "nut spacers"...never heard of anybody doing that till I read this. I plan to buy a new spring before it installs from INTENSE. Should of ordered that with all the other stuff, but I thought I was going to reuse my old spring. Whats some more money to dump int his thing gonna hurt anyway?

~Farnsworth~

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I think you are way over the top with that kind of oil pressure. As said above, volume is better than pressure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The shim that comes with the Intense kit is very small...I think you put something way too big in and that's why your pressure is unnecessarily high.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So everyone here thinks I have too much pressure? I guess I'll take out my "ghetto" shim and get something legitimate.

i wonder If I need to check my bearings and replace them? I don't know if the over-the-top pressure could damage them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts