3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have oil getting into my coolant. I've replaced the Lower intake manifold gaskets already. Torqued to specs and everything. Engine has never been overheated, and I have 150psi compression in every cylinder. Though, it has a LTFT of -17%. The car has 230k miles, could there be a chance that the head gasket could be split to where it just lets oil in the coolant? I suspect the timing cover gasket due to the cooling passages that go through it. Yet, there is oil that seems to ooze out where the Head mates to the block, though you can't see it in action. Any Ideas where to start, because this is going to require a tear down. I don't have the money at the moment for it either.

·
Registered
626 Posts
How many miles do you have on the replaced LIM gaskets? Also, do you have the plastic UIM?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The LIM's were replaced in 09', I just now(week ago) replaced them again due to oil in the coolant. It was a shot in the dark but it's an easy job. The upper manifold is plastic, but if it was warped i'd figure that would be followed by a p0171. Yet, while driving the pcm is cutting back fuel and I've checked fuel pressure, used noid lights, etc. The codes that threw wew p0200 p0300 and p0420. That's kinda off topic but maybe not, the car runs perfectly fine, it idles ok. It does seem to build up cooling system pressure quick at idle, does it in 2 mins 50 sec. ? It's just strange because it passes a block test. If anything, I think a leakdown test a be what's best.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Do you have coolant in the oil also?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I changed it, it looked normal, I didn't see any water/ coolant at all, actually, the oil was still pretty clean, may 1200 miles on the oil that was in there.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
normally you get coolant/oil exchange unless the leak is somewhere there's oil pressure. Maybe there's a tear in the head gasket that seals the coolant passage. Oil kinda just drips down from the heads back to it's home.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
He was asking about the lower intake manifold gaskets, did you use the old Fel-Pro Nylon-66 style, or the aluminum ones?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
whoops. I'm responding to two different things about the same subject. Probably means I put the wrong thing on HPTuners forum.

It is possible the LIM is warped.

·
Registered
626 Posts
When you did the UIM, did you replace it with the Surefix intake from APN? It has a metal shield around the plastic opening for the EGR tube to protect the plastic from the hot gases. If your UIM has a leak there, the cooling engine could cause oil vapours from the PCV system to be sucked into the coolant. However, I'd also expect to see coolant in the oil too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to check that tomorrow, the UIM that is. I just got done pulling the front cylinder head, and when I poured some seafoam down in the intake ports, the intake valve on cylinder 5 leaked while the others did not. I think that's gonna be a cause of the bad LTFT I was getting. I'm going to pull the rear head tomorrow morning and check it out as well. On the other hand when I did pull the UIM there was oil all around the outer edges of the gasket. Dunno if that's normal, but I don't think it is. I'm, going to take a straight edge to the LIM and the cylinder heads tomorrow, and by wednesday, hopefully, I'll be finished up. I'd do it in a day or so but I have to work. :icon_cry: I'm going back with the metal LIM gaskets. As for the UIM gasket, I'll stick with the basic felpro one, lol. I just hope it's not warped and/or deteriorated at the egr section!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, I don't really see how the LIM would be warped. It's never overheated, It's been maintained fairly well. Kept the cooling system flushed, and all that good shiznit.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't believe a warped LIM would cause an internal oil leak anyway. I don't think there are any oil ports in the LIM. It could cause an external leak, but that's not your concern right now.

Were the heads ever replaced before? I've never heard of head gaskets going on these cars, but I guess they can go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Heads have never been replaced before. This is the first time the heads have evr been off. Turns out it was a good thing though with that one valve leaking. It's just strange because though it threw a p0300, it doesn't miss like a s.o.b. surley it will runa bit better once this job is done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts