3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i change just the oil filter, without changing the oil? I want to change the filter but retain the oil as it is still good.

tia

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You can but it will be messy and you will loose some of it. Most of the oil is in teh pan, but there is still lots of oil in the lines and filter. Oil isnt that expensive, just change it with the filter.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would but the oil seems fine, amsoil, and it's been over 3k miles so they recommend the filter change then the oil at 7k

·
Registered
441 Posts
Merc said:
Oil isnt that expensive, just change it with the filter.
Agreed.
I run Amsoil as well, but I can't seem to bring myself to leave it in that long. I look forward to driving this car when its got over 200k on it though and would hate to skimp on maintenance intervals just to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
u lose just as much w/o changing the oil as u do if u drain. Esp. if u let the car sit for a loooong while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can certainly just change the filter. You'll lose about 1 qt of oil. This is actually a good way of replenishing the oil when doing longer change intervals. I don't really think that an additional filter change is necessary in your case, especially if you're using the 4.3L filter, but if it makes you feel more comfortable, then by all means go ahead. It'll be the same mess as any other filter change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts