3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinkg of running a oil cooler to help fight High engine temps, and curious to see who has them on and what type and brand, AND if the oil cooler was real effective or not? Oh, and where did you mount it :)

I will be installing a trans cooler hopefully this coming weekend and I think that wil help considerably. My trans runs almost way hotter than my engine unless it is a 90* day out, then it is the opposite. I have the Intense TC-350, and I imagine it is generating good deal of heat in city traffic. I think I willl be mounting the trans cooler to the front of the Aluminum subframe and maybe add a valence behind it to pick up the air that the front radiator valance doesnt get. If that works well Ill probably put the Oil cooler there as well. The cooler I ordered for the trans, and the one I will be ordering for the engine oil if this one works out, is from Cool Craft.com A style mainly used for street rods and muscle cars. My engine temps right now are almost always at 180*- 200*, even on a cooler 70* day. I have a 160* thermostat in right now that is brand new. I also have a Electric water pump coming today hopefully :) Ive also wondered if the factory water pump is about to crap out on me beacuse of the high temps Ive got.
Thanks In Advance,
Scott

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would think that you might wanna get a coolant flush. Typically oiling isn't the cause of overheating. The other thought is a oil cooler could keep your oil from reaching it's operating temp. Jeff recomends a tranny cooler with the tc-350. I got a BMR for about 40 bucks thats rock proof. Also in the experiences I have seen the electric water pump causes your car to run warmer. BTW what aluminum subframe are you talking about? Unless you have a new monty or impalla it's steel.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LoL- Ya just did the flush at a local place, that was my first thought too. I will try the trans cooler first and see from there, im thinking that will be enuff. I got a used aluminum subframe from Chris Green. I thought they came off 04' grand prixs to?
-Scott

·
Registered
187 Posts
they do just forgot to list. If you mount your trans cooler in front of the radiator it will be safe and out of the way lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think th I/C hogs enuff of the air flow as it is. The place below I think will be alright too. :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
spd98 said:
Jeff recomends a tranny cooler with the tc-350..
If by Jeff you mean Big Jeff, i have never heard him or Intense recomend a tranny cooler. None of their cars run one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Merc said:
If by Jeff you mean Big Jeff, i have never heard him or Intense recomend a tranny cooler. None of their cars run one.
Well then you may want to call him becuase he has told me personally on several occasions that the tc350 runs hotter and for street use run a cooler.

Please keep in mind just cause you didn't hear it doesn't mean it's not true.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still haven't gotten my Trans cooler :( I just hate when places are out of stock and dont tell you, and then get in stock, and tell you the part in the warehouse is broken..So I have to wait a little longer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Order a B&M unit from summit. they're cheap and supposed to be one of the toughest and most effecent. I think I paid 40 for my whole setup and it's about 3x what we need. ZZP tried them for ss IC cores.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My UPS tracking says it should be delivered today. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They probably should update their page, & make it more specific. I would think that statement on their website is for the general public with low level mods etc..., Not for the more heavily modified cars.
-Scott

·
Registered
441 Posts
What Scott stated may be true from his perspective and makes perfect sense. High output engines will break parts in the transmission, especialy if you race regularly. Trannys run like that will may never see 100k or 150k miles...

However, if your ride is a daily driver and you'd like the tranny to last longer, a tranny cooler will not hurt at all.
I check my fittings at every oil change and consider the risk to be low.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
134 Posts
spd98 said:
Also in the experiences I have seen the electric water pump causes your car to run warmer.
Can you tell me more about this?

As for me I run a B&M cooler I bought from Summit. Its bomb proof, and lets the tranny get warm, but keeps it cooler than 200*F for sure. Under the cooler months if for some reasion I'm drving in the cold, you can make yourself a cover to clip on over your cooler, that will not allow the air to go THROUGH the cooler, so it will still cool...but not "cool" like in the summer.

The cover I made was from a piece of cardboard cut to size, and then wrapped in aluminum tape to insure its long life. To attach it, I used some wire amd make it "hook" at the ends so it can just clip on, and off with one hand under the front end and not fall off.

Everyone is different on their opinion of a tranny cooler. These transmissions were poorly designed in my opinion...so what more can you do to insure you get a good one? Buy an Intense Built Transmission. :D I love mine.

~Farnsworth~

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the B&M also. :D

Summit Racing: #BMM-70264 $49.88 Measures 11"x6"x1 1/2" built super strong and comes with everything you need. In the colder days of the seasions, I have a cover that I made that goes over the front to block the air flow. That way it doesnt get too cool, still cools, but doesnt have any air going through it to cool the fluid.

I upgraded the hoses and fittings to some braded stainless steel lines, looks as well as extended life. I have not had one leak, and not a single tranny problem. Fluid gets changed every year, and it never gets to 50K on the fluid.

~Farnsworth~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts