3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone uses any type of octane booster for daily driving? I know LUCAS is supposed to make a good one. I just scanned my car last week. Idle, Cruise, WOT. Finally after 6 months I am tuned correctly and making awsome power(well it feels like it anyway...no dyno yet). My kr is at 0. However it's also 45' here in jersey. When the summer comes around I don't want to have tuning issues again and kr. So I was wondering if anyone uses or has used octane booster to help fight kr during daily driving? Is it worth it. I am running 94 right now with no kr and an AFCv1.1 on my CSC L36. I would like to not go up a pulley size or pull timing if I don't have to. I can afford the extra $4 a week for the booster. What does everyone think?
Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
usually the octain boosters you buy at autostores hardly work, if they raise the octain its by half a point so its 93.5 instead of 93. A little secret, tolulene and marvel mystery oil. Tolulene is used in gas to raise octain, its also a paint thinner, any paint store will have it

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've always heard not to use octane boost. The way it was put to me was "it's not very effective and is not good for your engine." I don't know if it's true or not. I've tried it on more than one occasion and can honestly say I saw no difference in performance what so ever. But, I saw no ill effects either. Try a can and see.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doug, How much of this Tolulene should I use per gallon? How much does it raise octane? Given a certain amount of fuel to tolulene ratio.

·
Registered
174 Posts
theres a formula on clubgp somewhere, but if I remember correctly 2 gallons of 93 and 2 gallons of tolulene is around 107 or so octaine. Just be sure to run the marvels mystery oil with it, the tolulene doestn have any lubricants and with clog up injectors

·
Registered
565 Posts
For octane boosters found at local auto parts stores, when it says it will raise your octane 4 points, it means 0.4. FYI

·
Registered
156 Posts
Octane booster will foul out your plugs also! I know this from previous experience with my old car. :eek: (Lesson learned)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I will be staying away from the boosters. I'll probably stay away from the Tolulene and oil as well. It just seems to me that the mixture has to be dead on without their being some bad consequences. I'll see where I'm at in the summer and just do what I have to do. :D
Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
k0bun said:
Thanks guys. I guess I will be staying away from the boosters. I'll probably stay away from the Tolulene and oil as well. It just seems to me that the mixture has to be dead on without their being some bad consequences. I'll see where I'm at in the summer and just do what I have to do. :D
Thanks

why to be honest ive dumped 5 gallons of the stuf in about 3 gallons of gas with the marvels and the car ran like a raped ape.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drewfus2101 said:
Heres a link to the page where you can do the calculations on how much Toulene you need. But don't be suprised when you buy this stuff if the guy selling it doesn't look at you weird. Apparently its used to make crack or something too.

Crack huh? Hmm. Maybe I can supplement my income to help pay for all my mods. ;) Just kidding. I haven't touched a drug in my life. I don't even drink really. I get high off of horsepower :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Torco Race Fuel Concentrate seems to work pretty well for a lot of folks...

"The first and only race fuel manufacturer to produce a real race fuel concentrate that performs like a race fuel. This product is not an octane boost, it is a race fuel concentrate that transforms a 93 octane super no-lead up to a 104 octane race fuel when proper mixing instructions are followed."

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have some Torco but I will only use it at the track. It's kind of expensive for daily driving. $12-$17 per bottle!

·
Registered
174 Posts
whisky said:
How much "mystery oil" are you using in say a 5 gallons of gas and 5 gallons of toulene??

i just by the larger of the two bottles, theres like a 8 oz and 17 oz i buy the 17 oz with 5 gallons of tolulene

·
Registered
6 Posts
You don't need to run that much MMO. A couple *capfulls* of MMO per gallon is more than sufficient.

For 5 gallons of Xylene or Toluene, I use maybe about 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of MMO. That's all you need. BTW, this comes from years of playing with the stuff on the ole' GM turbo V6's...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, I swear by the use of Toluene. I run 1 gal Toluene to 2 gal of 94 Octane with a few oz's of trani fluid. Yields about 100. Octane.
Runs like a Raped Ape, in the words of the other guy.

Too costly for normal driving, so reserve it for race days only when you swap in that smaller pulley. ;)

True that the normal octane boosters will only raise octane by about 1 .
Going from 93 to 94 is like 10 points.

0 KR !!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone try the Lucas octane booster? Do these boosters really only raise .5-1? Is there any danger in using them?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Do any gas stations around you have unleaded race gas? If so every time you fill up dump a couple gallons of it with whatever else you run.

Scott

1 - 20 of 22 Posts