3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a belt break and the car stalled so I pulled over under no power and investigated. One belt jumped then took the other out and God knows what else. The starter turns and turns but no fire up. Here's what I did.
Removed all remnants of shredded belts. One that I tugged on was split around the crank sensor connection, when I found that out I stopped and clipped it down there. The sensor and conductor and wires all seem to be OK visually. The other wires going to the top of the crank are also intact.
I inspected all other connections that could have been severed. ICM ground wire is the only one I saw. Then I replaced belts.
All the pulleys roll easily except the crank but you can't move that by hand right?
Any other ideas of what damage those belts or my removal could have done such that the starter just turns but no startup?
Unfortunately this is my only car so it's an emergency.

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
There's a cam sensor above the pulley, and a crank sensor down near the AC compressor. The harness coming down from the coils goes to these 2, along with that ground you mentioned. A shredded belt could damage either of these things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wires look fine but I was tugging on the belt wrapped around the crank sensor connector do you think that could have damaged the sensor even if it's bolted in? At any rate idk how to tell which one if either because the OBD won't give a code. Can either prevent startup? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
You can check for spark (with a helper to crank it over) but pulling a plug, putting it in the boot, and holding the threads against a grounding bracket (by the insulated boot) to watch for spark. Not an official method, and can cause a shock if done wrong, but it's one option that's quick and simple.

That belt whipping around isn't going to be nice to the wiring, sensors, or timing cogs on the back of the harmonic balancer. You'll may need to hit a junkyard and snag another ignition harness, along with maybe some spare sensors. The crank sensor requires pulling the balancer, so maybe do everything above that first (see my recent YouTube video when I just upgraded my balancer).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found and corrected the problem see pics. For reinstall I lined up best I could with the notch on the shaft now it runs. But my brother thought there was supposed to be an actual key.
20210630_180233.jpg 20210630_190648.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts