3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 2000 Grand Prix GT w/144k miles on jack strands for almost 2 years now. Was doing a bunch of suspension and brakes then took a stab at redoing my A/C system (compressor blew) but gave up for now and did compressor delete pulley.

The engine started and ran as recent as a year ago. But now after I've got everything back together the car cranks but no start and no fuel pressure at the Schrader valve is the obvious issue right now.

Fuel pump fuse is good and tried jumper-ing the FP relay pins but no fuel. Did the security re-learn-reset procedure and still no fuel.

Anyone have anymore common troubleshooting tips for this problem?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
885 Posts
Well, the first thing I would suggest is to see/hear if the fuel pump is running when the key is first turned on. You can use a listening device on the gas tank which should make it easy to hear the pump running.....if it actually is running. If not, in a pinch I have used a hammer to tap on the fuel tank body to jar loose a stuck pump motor. Sounds a bit off the wall, but in a pinch, this works. If you can't get the pump to start running and the wiring at the fuel pump is good, you may need to replace the pump assembly. Best of luck... Mr goodwrench

PS, when the ignition is first turned on, the pump only runs for a few seconds and then stops. AND, does the gas tank actually have fuel in it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the first thing I would suggest is to see/hear if the fuel pump is running when the key is first turned on. You can use a listening device on the gas tank which should make it easy to hear the pump running.....if it actually is running. If not, in a pinch I have used a hammer to tap on the fuel tank body to jar loose a stuck pump motor. Sounds a bit off the wall, but in a pinch, this works. If you can't get the pump to start running and the wiring at the fuel pump is good, you may need to replace the pump assembly. Best of luck... Mr goodwrench

PS, when the ignition is first turned on, the pump only runs for a few seconds and then stops. AND, does the gas tank actually have fuel in it?
Thanks Mr. G--- yes we have a full tank of gas. Today I will have a helper to switch IGN on-off so I can listen for fuel pump activity and relay clicking. Also, can you tell me exactly where to 'hammer' (or tap?) on fuel tank? On the top the fuel pump-cover area, behind the back seat maybe?

Thanks again~!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks Mr. G--- yes we have a full tank of gas. Today I will have a helper to switch IGN on-off so I can listen for fuel pump activity and relay clicking. Also, can you tell me exactly where to 'hammer' (or tap?) on fuel tank? On the top the fuel pump-cover area, behind the back seat maybe?

Thanks again~!
When you hammer on the tank, hit it on the bottom side of the tank moderatly hard......don't wack it so hard that it might bend/dent the bottom of the gas tank. I suppose one could use a board on the bottom of the tank so you don't bend/damage the tank itself. Maybe recheck all the wiring and make sure the ground wire for the pump motor has a good ground connection. You may need to look at a wiring diagram for this to confirm wire colors and ground wire color. Also, using a test light and a schematic diagram you should be able to see if there's actually power getting to the pump assembly. Double check the pump ground wire for a good clean connection to ground. Hope some of this helps. At the miles you have on the car, the pump may be worn out. That would require a new pump assembly. Jake

·
Registered
885 Posts
One last thing, using a "test light", confirm there is actually 12 volts going to the pump assembly and again, confirm the GROUND wire has a clean secure connection. Jake (mr goodwrench).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do other accessories turn on when you turn the key to accessory position?
Yes, everything runs including CD-player, etc., my problem has been, working by myself, I couldn't 'hear' anything but the IGN-DOOR chimes! Today I have a helper and, after some manipulations--- the car finally starting pumping gas! Whoohoo!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solved

When you hammer on the tank, hit it on the bottom side of the tank moderatly hard......don't wack it so hard that it might bend/dent the bottom of the gas tank. I suppose one could use a board on the bottom of the tank so you don't bend/damage the tank itself. Maybe recheck all the wiring and make sure the ground wire for the pump motor has a good ground connection. You may need to look at a wiring diagram for this to confirm wire colors and ground wire color. Also, using a test light and a schematic diagram you should be able to see if there's actually power getting to the pump assembly. Double check the pump ground wire for a good clean connection to ground. Hope some of this helps. At the miles you have on the car, the pump may be worn out. That would require a new pump assembly. Jake
How's this for 'off-the-wall' recommendations--- took off inspection cover behind the back seat rest to access top of fuel pump assembly, lines and wiring. Gently tapped on the top of that nest while helper turned key... we finally heard fuel pump whirring for the standard couple of seconds, then shut off.

Went to the fuse/relay box and confirmed the FP relay was clicking as helper turned key on/off. We did this several times to be sure of what we were hearing and then tried the starter---Voilà!--- she fired off! Rough, but eventually smoothed out. We're putting all its previously drained trans/coolant fluids back into the car as we speak.

Did more research earlier this morning and I learned that this key-on/key-off sequence is factory repair manual recommendation whenever fuel system pressure has been bled off for any reason. It also states that this key-on/key-off sequence may need to be done several times to build enough fuel pressure for starting. (and that is just 1 little bitty psi---#@&!??)

That all makes sense now because over the past two days, we had previously done the key-on/key-off thing a DOZEN OR MORE TIMES already!

In conclusion, thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions--- this makes for a great forum. And I hope this info may be helpful to others in the same boat because thankfully. we missed the bullet on fuel pump replacement... for now.

ciao~!

·
Registered
885 Posts
From the way you described this scenario, the fuel lines probably had air in them and it took a while to get that out before enough fuel could get to the injectors. Mr goodwrench

·
Registered
885 Posts
Another thing I've done in days gone by is to pull the schrader valve out so getting the fuel to the fuel rail is easier and quicker and also gets the AIR out of the fuel line. Best of luck from here on.... Mr goodwrench

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, everything runs including CD-player, etc., my problem has been, working by myself, I couldn't 'hear' anything but the IGN-DOOR chimes! Today I have a helper and, after some manipulations--- the car finally starting pumping gas! Whoohoo!
You should hook up a pressure gauge to that shrader valve on the fuel rail and test your pressure. They don't cost that much or you could borrow one from AutoZone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts