3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals.
I am new to your forum and hope to share some tech ideas and slove problems; mine and yours.

I have been into cars since I was old enough to draw a car and pretty much have done everything thats needs to be done from mechanical, electrical, bodywork and paint.

Recent project is a supercharged 98 Riviera; this being my second one.

This is the first 3800 I have rebuilt so i am learning some new things.

I have come across a head scratcher and hope someone has a definitive answer...

On my 3800, i am trying to understand cam bearing selection.

The shop manual is unclear and the parts supply, Rock Auto , lists 2 designs for cam bearing sizes.

I have had a machine shop do the install but i am not at ease with the tightness even after i took it back. I am not sure I want this shop to be involved any longer.

I am thinking to pull the bearings and start over, only doing it myself as the bearings are not expansive and I don't want a spun cam bearing and the tool is available.

Here are the choices (below) .
Any input is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
Not sure. Both major vendors, ZZP and Intense, sell the Clevite 77's for $21.99 and seem to be a good option. That might simplify things, and their customer service can answer questions on the phone if needed.

I don't have my digital calipers here right now, or I'd go measure a cam, etc. and look at factory sizing numbers. Probably overkill, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I don't see them on Zed that pees website anymore but I did order another set of cam bearings an installer so we'll see what happens. I was sticking around with it a little bit today and if I got it all set into place that has a tight spot in it so the cam is a little bit of run out but it shouldn't really be an issue... i polished it a measured it out and its within spec... you can actually see on the bearings where the cam is rubbing because I spun it at some speed just to see what would happen. I can also see where the Machine Shop damaged a couple of bearings moving the cam in and out in frustration looks like the lobe hit a couple of the bearings pretty hard. I'm not going back to this guy and some leaning towards his lack of due diligence f***** it up

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
I looked them up on ZZP yesterday before I posted that, so they're there.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts