3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I’ve just bought my “attainable dream car” in the 2006 GP GT with the L32. She’s in perfect working condition and after doing some research on the inner workings of the 3800, I’ve realized that reducing the risk from KR is probably my best bet.
My starting point is going to be an intake, but while cleaning the engine bay yesterday, I tried starting her with the air box removed just to hear the supercharger, but she doesn’t want to start like that.
With that being said, ZZP’s L32 non intercooled intake is out of stock due to COVID-19, and they don’t know when it’ll be back in stock, and after second and third thoughts, I’m not too comfortable with dropping $250 on an intake at 20 years old.
Is there a way I can safely create a custom “CAI?” I mostly just want to reduce KR and let the supercharger sing.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
338 Posts
Did you disconnect the MAF sensor when you pulled the intake? That is a big part of controlling the fueling in the computer, and most cars won't run properly without it connected.

You can do an open cone setup for about $50, if you want. Most parts stores have the Spectre 4" aluminum 45deg elbows, and 9" cone filters. You could get fancy, and add a 2nd elbow to get the filter near the fenderwell. That, along with a slightly colder spark plug (Autolite 104, NGK TR6, etc.) will get you started down the money-wasting path we all hate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you disconnect the MAF sensor when you pulled the intake? That is a big part of controlling the fueling in the computer, and most cars won't run properly without it connected.

You can do an open cone setup for about $50, if you want. Most parts stores have the Spectre 4" aluminum 45deg elbows, and 9" cone filters. You could get fancy, and add a 2nd elbow to get the filter near the fenderwell. That, along with a slightly colder spark plug (Autolite 104, NGK TR6, etc.) will get you started down the money-wasting path we all hate.
I didn’t disconnect the MAF and that’s what confused me. The vacuum hose from what looked like the PCV disconnected from the intake tube.

·
Super Moderator
338 Posts
Interesting. You'll want to make sure that PCV line remains connected, or it becomes a vacuum leak that pulls unmeasured air in.

Plenty of clean-up potential, too. This guy does a great job detailing how to do it: https://youtu.be/PRSoRkM8GcM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. You'll want to make sure that PCV line remains connected, or it becomes a vacuum leak that pulls unmeasured air in.

Plenty of clean-up potential, too. This guy does a great job detailing how to do it: https://youtu.be/PRSoRkM8GcM
Thanks for your quick replies! I guess most of my worry comes from this being my first car that I care about. My previous car was a 2003 Malibu with the 3.1, and I of course did routine maintenance, but in the end, it’s still a rust bucket with no clear coat and lifter tap. The GP, on the other hand, means the world to me and I’m genuinely scared of mucking up the motor.
Also, are there any reasonably priced gauges that can read KR? I heard on another forum that there are android apps, but I don’t have an Android.

·
Super Moderator
338 Posts
You can buy a Bluetooth OBD II scanner to plug into your code port (ELM or similar), and use an app like "Torque Pro" to scan with your phone (just check compatibility). Shop on Amazon, they're usually $15-20 range, and the app is either free or $5 in the store. I have one, and it's fine for occasional monitoring of whatever vehicle I'm in, or helping someone else read a code.

Getting up towards the $100 or so range, the PLX Kiwi and maybe ScanGaugeII could do the trick, before going past $200+ for the Aeroforce. I've had an Aeroforce in my last couple 3800 cars, but never bought new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts