3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm just new, I own a 2000 Impala LS, have been problems lately with the trannie, and there are a few issues really worth mentioning; at highway speeds the car shutters (80 km/h and beyond) and refuses to go into gear (especially 3 & 4) Second biggest is that sometimes (very randomly) when the trannie shifts into gear, it shifts very violently, and it does so until I eventually stop and start the car up again. Now, it's been suggested to me that my trannie hasn't got much life left to it and will need to replace it. Any ideas on how much that would be. (keep in mind I dont have a garage, nor tools, nor enough knowlege to perform a trannie swap on my own). I've been told it would be about 3K, and anything beyond that is just pushing it as that's a whole other car. I plan to get the 4T65HD trannie although I'm just wondering how smooth will it perform on my stock 3.8, and if it will change anything performance-wise; any extra acceleration? Any suggestions? ideas?

·
Registered
170 Posts
have a 4T65HD tranny was rebuilt everything new, broke the drive chain with only 50km $200 pickup. a stock tranny will support 300 -350 fwhp with no problem,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...that's not a good thing lol. All I know about the 4T65HD is that it was a good application for the SS Impalas and Monte Carlos (2004-2005 I think) and that it was originally made to wistand a lot more power. I figure it this way; I'm planning sooner or later to put a turbo on it, and since the trannie will have to be replaced anyway, I might as well put something better, more powerful, and more reliable; I thought the 4T65HD was the answer, but then again I could be very wrong.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
They really aren't any stronger (unless you count the differential) than the non-hd version.

A basic rebuild sounds like it would suit your needs just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts