3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 buick lesabre with the Series II 3800 motor. Everything engine related is currently stock and I am looking into various paths of upgrading my car for more power. Rather than going balls deep and just supercharging it right off the bat, I want to try some minor (and cheaper) mods first and see how my car handles the slight power increases.

I am mainly thinking about upgrading my throttle body, maybe throwing in a throttle body spacer. I know the L67 throttle body has a wider bore, so I am wondering if that will directly bolt in to the L36 intake manifold and also mate with a L36 MAF sensor.

I know ZZP has a throttle body upgrade but I was thinking I could have the same thing for dirt cheap from the junkyard.

What do you guys think? Any other recommended mods you've done for HP gains?

My car has the 4t65e shift kit and a new fluid filter service done to it as well, all by my hand, so I am pretty confident in the transmission for now. Gonna put in a new trans mount as well soon.

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
Mentioning "junkyard" sparked my big suggestion senses! :cool:

If you can get a Series 3 L26 upper intake manifold (plenum) to swap on, and add the ZZP HV3 (or HVII) insert for a solid N/A gain, you can run a 75mm TB from a stock Northstar or LS1 V8. You'll just need to adapt the throttle body and TPS harness, and re-route 2-3 vac lines. I've got one setup for my previous turbo setup that I'll be selling, but might package it with the full 11.4sec kit in the Classifieds soon, not sure yet.

Some decent porting of the front exhaust manifold is worth 3-5whp, if you want to grind/polish for a couple hours (something we used to suffer through in the early 2000's).

Enjoy, and good luck.

- Dave

Reactions: buick_lesabreguy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mentioning "junkyard" sparked my big suggestion senses! :cool:

If you can get a Series 3 L26 upper intake manifold (plenum) to swap on, and add the ZZP HV3 (or HVII) insert for a solid N/A gain, you can run a 75mm TB from a stock Northstar or LS1 V8. You'll just need to adapt the throttle body and TPS harness, and re-route 2-3 vac lines. I've got one setup for my previous turbo setup that I'll be seiiling, but might package it with the full 11.4sec build, not sure yet.

Some decent porting of the front exhaust manifold is worth 3-5whp, if you want to grind/polish for a couple hours (something we used to suffer through in the early 2000's).

Enjoy, and good luck.

- Dave
Thanks for your detailed response!

Would I need a tune if I threw the manifold, insert, and Northstar TB into the engine? I probably wouldn't do the exhaust porting as I don't have those tools or the knowledge to do machining of parts confidently now.

My mentality is to do one slightly simpler N/A mod that wouldn't need tuning and then move on later to a more intensive supercharger mod with a tune and supporting mods.

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
You would need to have a new tube-style MAF in front of the TB, which would need some adjusting for the setup. The 96-99 style N* TB and MAF is closer to the stock 3800, and may not be too far off when installed (uses a pre-99 style 3800 MAF sensor, or you can modify it to use a 99-05 Series 2 MAF).

The exhaust porting is much simpler than head porting, if you have any sort of die grinder. We had zero clue or technique back then, other than to match the outlet of the heads and make it smooth. Again, not a huge benefit for a lot of work, and headers will be a better buy if you get boost later, or P-logs for a partial gain.

The factory exhaust components are usually pretty restrictive, if you want to do a muffler swap and maybe a hi-flow cat for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a used HV3 that can sell to you. It does make a solid difference
I'd be interested you can dm me what your'e looking for

You would need to have a new tube-style MAF in front of the TB, which would need some adjusting for the setup. The 96-99 style N* TB and MAF is closer to the stock 3800, and may not be too far off when installed (uses a pre-99 style 3800 MAF sensor, or you can modify it to use a 99-05 Series 2 MAF).

The exhaust porting is much simpler than head porting, if you have any sort of die grinder. We had zero clue or technique back then, other than to match the outlet of the heads and make it smooth. Again, not a huge benefit for a lot of work, and headers will be a better buy if you get boost later, or P-logs for a partial gain.

The factory exhaust components are usually pretty restrictive, if you want to do a muffler swap and maybe a hi-flow cat for now.
Basically I'm into whatever mods I can do that won't require me to tune it yet haha. For example with the throttle body spacer and HV3 upgrade don't think I'd need a tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts