3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I am happy there are some forums still around though they’re very much dying off. I have been a member of multiple forums for some time and nowadays I screen shot all of the helpful threads because one day you’ll come back and poof the forum is gone. So much knowledge is going to be lost; where are these discussions all going now?

Anyways! I have decided I want a 4th Gen Buick Regal GS as my next project, I am looking to build a drag and drive car to start wrenching and traveling with my son as he’s getting older. He’s still just a lil guy these days but it goes fast.

I’m no stranger to forced induction, a few years ago I build a supercharged 05 Toyota Tacoma. I’ve recently owned a 2015 Subaru WRX, a 2020 Subaru WRX and now a 2023 Subaru Outback Wilderness. I just sold one of my other spare cars a 2006 Subaru Outback XT. It was a turbo five speed, but I just have too many cars in the fleet and am looking for something different.

it’s going to be tough to be patient and wait for the right one to pop up for sale but I’m hoping to find one with around 130K or less miles and that has lived out here in the South West most of its life.

I would be lying if I said I was going to be super active in the forum, more of a lurker. But I’m hoping to learn as much as I can because these cars don’t have a central database necessarily like most of my other cars have dedicated forums.

· Registered
102 Posts
Thats a smart idea taking screen shots of the useful threads. I couldn't tell you how many links I had saved on my old computer from clubgp & various other sites that no-longer work lol. Its a shame how much knowledge of these cars has gotten lost between that & the guys that have since moved on, but between here & grandprixforums (when it works) there is still an abundance to search through and some old timers still hanging around. The folks at zzperformance have also been great with answering any questions.

Good luck with your Regal GS search. I would check the 3800marketplace on facebook every so often if you don't already.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah my other passions are Ford Explorers, and I have a literal binder of useful posts and now I do screenshots and put them in my notes. The Explorer forums have been around so long a ton of old links are dead and photos gone..

Is there enough activity on that marketplace to justify making a Facebook? I have one for my business but they won’t let me access Facebook marketplace with that account. And I kind of hate Facebook ha

· Registered
102 Posts
Funny you mention that, I am on my 2nd Explorer. I've probably run into you on the Explorer forums. I have the same screen name there as well.

I don't blame you, If I go on I mainly use it for the classifieds. I find the 3800marketplace is the best classifieds around these days for these particular cars. Its nothing like the forum classifieds in the old days, but its the most active one you'll find around. Most of it is people selling 3800 powered cars.

· Administrator
1,530 Posts
We lost a big chunk of our legacy knowledge base when ClubGP died, as that was the primary forum for the members, vendors, and innovators of 3800 modding and banter. Many answers are still able to be found between here, GPF (when it's not broken), and a few other places left alive.

I don't really recommend anyone try getting too invested in the 3800 platform beyond a tinkering level at this point, because all that infrastructure for upgraded parts and replacement components has been drying up for over 10yrs. Enjoy the ability to keep a fairly reliable platform running healthy for 200+k miles with the info on common issues to address. Modifications beyond typical bolt-ons put you at risk of not finding required supporting upgrades, since they're now unicorn parts (I bought my Regal after building it to the gills for my buddy, simply to have some of those parts).

I'll always try to help folks find what they need, but don't be surprised to see the limitations vs. the much healthier supported engine and chassis platforms out there.

Reactions: Ridleyz

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We lost a big chunk of our legacy knowledge base when ClubGP died, as that was the primary forum for the members, vendors, and innovators of 3800 modding and banter. Many answers are still able to be found between here, GPF (when it's not broken), and a few other places left alive.

I don't really recommend anyone try getting too invested in the 3800 platform beyond a tinkering level at this point, because all that infrastructure for upgraded parts and replacement components has been drying up for over 10yrs. Enjoy the ability to keep a fairly reliable platform running healthy for 200+k miles with the info on common issues to address. Modifications beyond typical bolt-ons put you at risk of not finding required supporting upgrades, since they're now unicorn parts (I bought my Regal after building it to the gills for my buddy, simply to have some of those parts).

I'll always try to help folks find what they need, but don't be surprised to see the limitations vs. the much healthier supported engine and chassis platforms out there.
hmm that’s kind of a bummer, because that’s the problem I’ve ran into a few other platforms I’ve worked on. I have a Ford 300 i6 and anything remotely performance was gone forever. Just had a rough time with my turbo Subaru Out ack because it was just wildly “fragile” and consumed oil and never seemed happy.

zzperformance seems to have a lot available, I’m not looking to go crazy but rather have something fun to tinker with and put some parts on. I don’t love the FWD/auto combination but these days getting anything with an LS engine in it around here starts at $6k.
I have my eyes on a Grand Prix GTP right now in decent shape with 170k miles on it for under $3K, which seems cheap enough to be “throw away” but still fun.
Or am I going to run into constant roadblocks sourcing parts?

· Administrator
1,530 Posts
ZZP has plenty of engine upgrades to get a GTP to make 350+whp with the supercharger, or 4-500+whp on a turbo... But there is a big gap in the supply of transmission chains upgrades now, which are one of the Achilles heels of the 4t65e being behind them in FWD form.

You can get away with a mid level (sub-0.540" lift) cam setup in a supercharged build, drive it reasonably with a good feel for not spinning (a skill requiring time to gauge), and the transmission can last years when lucky. However, between fighting to even get off the line when you're past 300whp with a strong intercooled and/or cammed build, and having the trans waiting to bite you when you are going along, is a big reason many folks move on after hoping they can do something with these 3800's.

Personally, I'm going to a RWD 3800 build this year, and hanging onto my FWD build with the unicorn transmission parts for a fun summer commuter.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ZZP has plenty of engine upgrades to get a GTP to make 350+whp with the supercharger, or 4-500+whp on a turbo... But there is a big gap in the supply of transmission chains upgrades now, which are one of the Achilles heels of the 4t65e being behind them in FWD form.

You can get away with a mid level (sub-0.540" lift) cam setup in a supercharged build, drive it reasonably with a good feel for not spinning (a skill requiring time to gauge), and the transmission can last years when lucky. However, between fighting to even get off the line when you're past 300whp with a strong intercooled and/or cammed build, and having the trans waiting to bite you when you are going along, is a big reason many folks move on after hoping they can do something with these 3800's.

Personally, I'm going to a RWD 3800 build this year, and hanging onto my FWD build with the unicorn transmission parts for a fun summer commuter.
I can live with those limitations for now, I’m looking to get my feet wet and make a nice goin’ ta town rig that isn’t going to cost too much. That’s what has happened with all my other projects is I just get in too deep and when something catastrophic happens I won’t want to fix it. I’m looking at you 2006 supercharged Toyota Tacoma, 2006 turbocharged Subaru Outback, 2016 Subaru WRX… 👀

· Administrator
1,530 Posts
... I just get in too deep and when something catastrophic happens I won’t want to fix it.
You just described what can happen if you either snap a chain, input shaft, etc. or pop the engine from leaning out without cautious scanning/tuning as you get beyond basic bolt-ons.

There's a very fun, thrash-able level these cars get to, around mid-13's and 250-275whp that will tend to live as long as you want them to. I had the most fun with my GTP at that stage for a bit, with "just" cam/valvetrain/headers/wiring mods/injectors/pulley/intake/etc. Going beyond that is what starts stressing parts more than usual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts