3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 gtp and recently had to replace the engine and trans, and my exhaust flex pipe was busted so that was a good time to do headers as well. I ordered some no name knockoffs from ebay. They seem to be decent quality for as cheaply as I got them and surprisingly bolted perfectly in place with no massaging required as I have had to do with speed daddy headers I have used before. My problem now is that I have exhaust leaks at all the slip fittings where the exhaust sections join. It seems that the larger pipe is too much bigger than the smaller pipe so whenever I put a clamp over the big pipe it doesn't pull close all the way around so it doesn't seal. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to remedy this problem?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have a 2003 gtp and recently had to replace the engine and trans, and my exhaust flex pipe was busted so that was a good time to do headers as well. I ordered some no name knockoffs from ebay. They seem to be decent quality for as cheaply as I got them and surprisingly bolted perfectly in place with no massaging required as I have had to do with speed daddy headers I have used before. My problem now is that I have exhaust leaks at all the slip fittings where the exhaust sections join. It seems that the larger pipe is too much bigger than the smaller pipe so whenever I put a clamp over the big pipe it doesn't pull close all the way around so it doesn't seal. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to remedy this problem?
If the slip-on pipe is not a tight fit, I would use a cut-off wheel to cut a couple of slits in that pipe, use some high-temp sealer, and a HEAVY DUTY pipe clamp to get that coupling TIGHT. I would also use some ZEP FAST-GASKET RED TO ENSURE NO LEAKAGE where the slip on pipe is connected. It would also be a good idea to allow over-night drying. I have used ZEP HIGH TEMP SEALER many times and it does do the job. Best of luck....mr goodwrench

·
Super Moderator
417 Posts
As mentioned, some high temp RTV on the inner pipe as it goes in, then some strong Torca clamps, the thicker single bolt AccuSeals can be run-in with an impact gun.

Other option is to get a pipe expander for the smaller pipe, and open it up to make it a snugger fit.

EDIT - also, try posting pics of what you have there, so people have an idea of what's on the market, and they can know how to get them installed right.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The way we would fix this is by using a lasting solution. Expand the fit of the smaller OD pipe and mig weld the sections together. Exhaust, and welding shops would be a good place to have that exhaust pipe welded in place and leak free. The stuff that you buy off eBay is nealy always Chinese and in many cases of questionable quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts