3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent about 24 hours installing tog headers on my 04 Mc ss I am not an experienced mechanic. But I figured it out. They are on. And they sound amazing.... but... now the car runs terrible. And keeps dying, at first it was idling at about 2k rpm. Then I remembered I forgot to put the o2 sensor in the bottom header and plug it in. After doing that it keeps bogging down and dying unless I give it gas. It will drive just fine. But it won’t stay on at idle. I have no idea what’s going on. Because this is my first attempt at modding. And I only undertook the mod because I got the headers and exhaust off a heavily modded 99 gtp with a wiring issue(melted wiring harness) I bought for 500 bucks. I don’t have a code reader and my budget is very low. Someone told me it could be due to an air leak on one of the headers.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Can you post some photos of the install? We may see something that got missed when putting it back together.

Also, for simple code reading or scanning, a $15 ELM Bluetooth OBDII plug will cover your bases via free phone apps. That's a decent budget item to shine light on random things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don’t mind the missing vacuum lines on the supercharger. I ordered those. They should be here today or tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Ok, cuz I see the EVAP unplugged at TB and vac line unplugged from boost bypass valve solenoid.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
That's a big vac leak behind the TB, if it's left open.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a big vac leak behind the TB, if it's left open.
After getting plugging the evap back in and letting it idle for a minute I tried to drive it, and it developed a pretty bad knock. It is now parked until I can get some cash up to put it in the shop, does anyone know of a reputable mechanic in or around Birmingham Alabama

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
29 Posts
Could the evap cause it to die like it is?
It’ll run like crap but probably wouldn’t die, maybe it just needs a tune if it didn’t do that before headers. Factory exhaust is pretty restrictive imo so opening it up like that I’d imagine would cause weird things without a tune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts