3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my ignition coils out and put the new ones on and now I have no spark I changed the icm thinking it was that and still no spark so doing some research found out the crank sensor goes bad common problem so I changed that and still no spark car will turn over but wont fire any suggestions? ( plugs and wires are only a year old)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I changed my ignition coils out and put the new ones on and now I have no spark I changed the icm thinking it was that and still no spark so doing some research found out the crank sensor goes bad common problem so I changed that and still no spark car will turn over but wont fire any suggestions? ( plugs and wires are only a year old)
That's a tough one. Thinking about what you have done, wondering about the CAM sensor, and the magnetic pick up. I have seen several mag/pick up sensors go bad or the cam sensor magnet goes bad..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any chance the new coils (or the new ICM) are just bad? With the quality (or lack thereof) of many new parts, throwing new parts at a problem often gives you another one you were not expecting. I just replaced one of mine with a coil bought from NAPA and it runs fine. But perhaps you got some bad ones.
Usually there are OHM tests that cab be performed on older style coils. Not sure what the specs would be on our style though. Maybe someone's got the book.

Same for the ICM but even more likely to be faulty I would think. Not sure how (or if) they can be tested though.
Oh, and why did you replace the coils in the first place? You said you replaced them and then it did not start. Was that the issue before? Or only after the new coils were installed?

Good luck.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had this problem on my 06 Grand Prix gt sc. I replaced my spark plugs, wires, coil packs and icm it still wouldn’t start. Whole time it was the connector too the icm that was causing my problem. So I bought a new connector re-wired it she was good to go after that started with no problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This stepwise process has helped me in the past: Part 1 -GM 3.8L Ignition Control Module and Crank (3X, 18X) Sensor Test

Up front it sounds like the camshaft position sensor or more likely a wiring problem introduced by swapping out parts. Hard to tell without more background (e.g. why did you replace the coils in the first Place? Did you check their impedance? Did you save the old coils and try reinstalling them?).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont think this is it but worth mentioning.

Did you unhook the battery when changing the coils? Is the Security light on? Could be the theft detect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts