3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just joined. Looking into putting a supercharged power train from a 99’ regal into a 05’ LeSabre. Wondering about the wiring? The LeSabre was my late grandmothers and was my sons first car. So it’s a little sentimental. No worries about the wrench time and bonding with my son. Any suggestions or info? I haven’t had time to search around on here yet. Any links too would be awesome. Thanx. -Andy

·
Administrator
1,317 Posts
Another LeSabre joining the fun... my hypothesis about that trend is being proven true, sadly.

Bottom line - spend a few weeks reading forums from the past couple decades, and get familiar with the parts/terms/etc. frequently discussed regarding 3800's and what's commonly addressed. Between that and checking out some YouTube "University" footage of various work people have done over the years, you'll be able to brush up on majority of what's going to be involved.

The wiring is not too different engine-wise (mainly the elec. TB), but you'll want to keep the 05 transmission in there and just carefully swap over the HD differential, output shaft and axles from the GS.

If you're leaving the s/c engine alone, just get them both out and side-by-side to clean and transfer various items. Utilize as much as possible from the newer engine for freshness, and freshen the top-end gaskets while you're at it. A resource like AllDataDIY or similar for the service manuals helps with torque specs and bolt order for the handful of critical items you might encounter.

Using the higher-flowing s/c injectors will need adapting or adapter harnesses from somewhere like ZZPerformance (primary vendor still actively making parts for these cars). They are also the best resource for a PCM reprogramming to get it running right (probably the most important part of the swap), since this is a custom adjustment that will require tweaks that aren't always straight-forward for someone who doesn't mess with 3800 modding on a regular basis.

The MAP sensor will probably remain the same, if they utilize the LeSabre tune, although they may convert it to a Park Ave file, which would require swapping to the 2-bar from the Regal (harness adapting) or from a Series 3 Grand Prix (same harness end you have, just 2-bar to read boost).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts