3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I bought silicone ignition wires from PRJ. ZZP also sells ignition wires that are similar. They have been on my car a long time. THey are the larger diameter wires that run around a hundred dollars. Very impressed with the quality

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have tried many different brands of wires over the years. The really good "aftermarket" wire sets are very good. Some are over-kill for stock ignition systems. Most of the good ones are excellent with close fitting header tubes that really heat up and can burn the wires. BUT if you get very close with this header issue, even the best will FRY. If you do not have a header issue, the GM and FOMOCO oem wires are excellent also. I say this because I see all sorts of cars and trucks come in with well over 100k on them and still work great. I find the worst killer of plug wires are the people who change plugs and "man-handle" the wires pulling them off the plugs. Doing this stresses and breaks the carbon coated conducting core of the wire which sooner or later burns up and you have an OPEN plug wire circuit along with missfire and if left un-treated, a coil/module failure. The best way to remove stuck on plug wires is to warm up the engine and then let it cool enough so you don't fry you hands getting to the plugs and wires(just barely cool enough to work on). At this time the plug boots will be more limber to break loose the "stick to plug" with a twisting motion. Once you do this, get a plug wire boot tool that grabs the lower edge of the boot to pull straight off the plug. This normally gets the wire off without ruining it in most cases. Some time nothing works....

As far as after market wires go, I think some of the best are.... MOROSO, TAYLOR, MSD, ACCELL, and one or two others. Oh by the way....NAPA (who owns/is ACCELL) sells a very good wire under their lable which is also very good and long lasting and cheaper.....

Good luck, Jake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts