3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im really new to this forum, well any forum that is. I just got a 98 pontiac firebird 3800. im looking to fix it up i know most of the basics intake exhaust things to that nature. but when we get into turbos superchagers things like that i dont really know to much so i was hopeing someone could help me out here. so i guess ill just throw a few questions that i have off the top of my head!

One: how much boost can my block take?
Two: whats cheaper to supercharge or turbo my car?
Three: with power adders what are some other requirements that ill need to run them safe?

again sorry im such a noob just looking to learn as much as i can with out pizzing ppl off lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
The stock superchargers are made for FWD 3800's and will hit the firewall of a firebird. Turbochargers are available for 3800 firebird camaro's, I don't know all the vendors but I know ZZP offers something. I'm running 12 psi of boost on a stock bottom end. Intercoolers are mandatory for safe!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Probably 1500 dollars or more if you build your own turbo system, higher if not...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i have been looking and looking and looking and all i have found is how much my stock motor can hold up to but i cant find any kits for turbos superchargers nothing im starting to lose hope in my bird :(

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Cory, you'll need to search your nearest speed shop and perhaps consulting with them on who to speak to. Custom turbo applications are everywhere now. Trying to find a specific appl. is like that needle in a hay stack. However, it's not to say that it hasnt been done. I personally know of a white 4th. gen Firebird with a built turbo'd 3.8 litre. I just havent seen him at the corner for a while. Im sure you'll get a lead on a tuner/builder, heck, Import guys do it all the time.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Think Kevin Pipcorn (Pipes1243) is working on this same project. He is on this forum and hopefully will chime in for you.....he's got a 4th. gen. Camaro.

·
Registered
327 Posts
ok i have been looking and looking and looking and all i have found is how much my stock motor can hold up to but i cant find any kits for turbos superchargers nothing im starting to lose hope in my bird :(
There are 3 places that I know of that sell the kits. Force Fed Fabrications, Cartuning Performance, and ZZPerformace. As for which ones the best, I honestly don't know. For my turbo kit I'm going to make my own custom forward facing headers, and a custom down pipe. If you're decent with a welder, it wouldn't be too hard to make your own. ZZPerformace sells mandrel bends, and the exhaust flanges. There also is some kind of way to make the drivers side manifold by using one off a GTP, flipping it upside down, and modify the holes so they line up. For the passenger side, you'd have to make your own. If you do the custom route, keep in mind it will take some time. Don't loose hope! Even if the turbo kits are too pricey, there is always the option for a big cam, nitrous, or both. Hope this helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts