3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a "new" S1X cam from a member here and I received the cam on Friday. Well upon closer inspection I found that the cam is most definitely used and I have now have a used cam that I have no information on.

You can clearly see the wear on the lobes and the heavier wear on the journals. The cam key is also already installed, definitely showing that it was used.

Cylinders 1 and 2

Cylinders 3 and 4

Cylinders 5 and 6

^I'm assuming that's the number that identifies this cam..

I would like to find out when it was originally sold and if I can get a grind sheet from when the cam was machined so that I have the specs specific to this cam. If it's possible, I would also like to find out who originally bought the cam (if Intense doesn't have a privacy policy against things like that) so I can try to figure out how many miles are on this thing before I decide if I'm going to feel comfortable installing it.

I would have gotten a good deal if the cam was new like I was told it was, however I overpaid for a used cam. I'm pretty pissed about this, but I will wait to see what the seller says before I say anything more. Hopefully some kind of resolution to the problem is found.

I thank you in advance for any information you can provide me with,

-Kyle

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Most likely the number on the back is simply just a "stock number" or part number. At most its a batch number, I severely doubt it's actually an identifiable serial number. If you want accurate numbers for the cam, you will have to get it measured by a compentant shop. Otherwise get a refund, return the damn thing and buy a new one that will come with a full cam card.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone from Intense or familiar with their cams confirm that this cam is new? The seller assured me today that the cam is new, and from talking to him and what I've seen in his prior posts/sales I believe him. It definitely looks like it's been run before, but I will assume at this point that the cam is indeed new.

This is not a bash/stab at Intense, in fact, I'm an Intense-supporter when they do get bashed on other forums. However, is this what a new cam looks like when it gets sent out? I don't know if the grinds are done on-site or if they're done somewhere else, but the cams could be machined/polished to be a lot smoother on the lobes and journals than this one is. Every other new cam I've ever seen has lobes and journals much smoother than this cam does.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hell no that cam is not new. You can see the bearing wear on the journals, and the lifter wear patterns on the cam lobes.

Cam Motion grinds the cams for Intense last I knew.

·
Registered
849 Posts
No doubt at all that the cam in your pics is used. You should have gone to Intense for the cam (and lifters and other related parts needed). I should also add you should not drag Intense into your delima. Sorry for your bad luck. It lookd like it may be in decent shape from the pick you sent and therefore usable. You should be able to get the exact cam specs on line (and probably on the Intense web site). That number will probably identify the cam from the company that manufactured it. Does anyone here know if Comp cams makes this grind (they make the XP grinds)?? If they do, you could also get the specson the Comp Cams site along with the related kit parts.

Jake L.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No doubt at all that the cam in your pics is used. You should have gone to Intense for the cam (and lifters and other related parts needed). I should also add you should not drag Intense into your delima. Sorry for your bad luck. It lookd like it may be in decent shape from the pick you sent and therefore usable. You should be able to get the exact cam specs on line (and probably on the Intense web site). That number will probably identify the cam from the company that manufactured it. Does anyone here know if Comp cams makes this grind (they make the XP grinds)?? If they do, you could also get the specson the Comp Cams site along with the related kit parts.

Jake L.
I was not looking to get a new cam, I came on here hoping to find a used one for a price that reflects what a used cam is worth. I would be perfectly content with this cam being used if I was told that and if I paid what it was worth.

When I have already blown my budget on things like a built transmission and i/c, buying a used cam makes sense. I would have definitely bought the cam new but I keep running into stumbling blocks in this build to the point where I'm about ready to sell everything off because the problems aren't going to be worth the gain I get switching from HS 1.9 rockers to a cam.

Intense has the cam specs online, I know this. I did extensive research on this cam before deciding to go with it over an XP cam. However, I have yet to see a cam that's cut to the exact numbers on the website, there's certain tolerances for discrepancies which is why I wanted to get the actual grind sheet. Is it going to affect how the car runs? No. Do I want to know anyhow? Sure do.

I'm not dragging Intense into anything. I asked a question for someone from Intense to answer: Is this what a new cam looks like?

If the answer is no, then the seller has some explaining to do. If the answer is yes, then however bad the cam looks, it is still new and therefore in good shape to run.

I am NOT accusing Intense of selling a junk product or dragging them into this by any means. Hell, they have no liability over this anyhow as I didn't buy direct from them, so I wouldn't have the right to drag anyone there into it even if I wanted to.

I just need to hear from someone there, to give me their opinion on this cam.

Someone is the the wrong here. If the seller sent me a used cam then he is, and if this is what a new cam looks like, then all I will say is that's pretty disappointing.

I'm not pointing any fingers until I figure out what the deal is. I have parts from Intense on my car and they are all very high quality, so I wouldn't expect this to be what a new cam looks like. At the same time, the member I bought the cam from is in good standing here and I doubt he would want to ruin his reputation.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
If I sound a little whacky, ignore me, on some drugs for a nasty bout of vertigo i got nailed with on Thursday. getting better, but not all there yet. Can't drive still....

But the cam from the pictures LOOKS ok, measure with a micrometer the depths of the grooves in the cam lobes. It looks like there is none. So there, that is the main part, looks ok to me from the picts.

The cam bearing wear, is next, carefully measure it, and look up in the FSM for what the spec is. It appears ok, but I don't have a micrometer on it to know for sure.

If you got a good price on the cam and it is what you are looking for, you are ok, if you paid a high price and were told it was a new cam, that cam isn't new.

Rollers can use any lifters, like like a flat tappet cam where they have to match the wear patterns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I sound a little whacky, ignore me, on some drugs for a nasty bout of vertigo i got nailed with on Thursday. getting better, but not all there yet. Can't drive still....

But the cam from the pictures LOOKS ok, measure with a micrometer the depths of the grooves in the cam lobes. It looks like there is none. So there, that is the main part, looks ok to me from the picts.

The cam bearing wear, is next, carefully measure it, and look up in the FSM for what the spec is. It appears ok, but I don't have a micrometer on it to know for sure.

If you got a good price on the cam and it is what you are looking for, you are ok, if you paid a high price and were told it was a new cam, that cam isn't new.

Rollers can use any lifters, like like a flat tappet cam where they have to match the wear patterns.
Hah well you're doing alright fighting off the drugs because I'm following what you're saying.

I know a guy locally that just got a brand new s1x from Intense and he just posted pictures of it for me, there's no way this cam is new (which I knew before but I was giving the seller the benefit of the doubt). Comparing it to a new cam though I can't deny that this has been run before. The new cam from Intense looks great, nothing like this one.

The price I paid was good for a new cam but I could have gotten any other used one for $50-75 less than what I paid. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
that cam is not new. Also Intense Cams have the Name of them scribed into the end of the cam so its actually the S1X Blower, but that thing has been ran

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have installed new xp and S1x cams and the long and short of it is THAT cam is NOT new or NOT almost new.
That member needs to refund your money. Installing it in a motor and turning it by hand will not give you those wear or burn marks. Blasting some wot passes will.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
another thing is if you do install that cam in your engine you better degree that cam. i bought brand new and i still degreed my cam once i got it in the motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do plan of having the cam degreed and getting the specs on it. My build is going to be pushed back further but It would also gove me some time to find a few more parts I was considering adding. We'll see what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts