3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with an exaust setup. I own a 2001 Grand Prix GTX with the standard SLP catback exaust it comes with. I'm looking to setup the exaust to make it louder and also to get maximum performance. I was looking into placing an off road downpipe on it off of 3800 performance.com. Just wondering if that would make it louder with a catback already on there also help the performance. Just throw out some opnions on an exaust setup to go with. Thanks.

zrobersonGTX

·
Registered
784 Posts
Why do you want it louder? If sound is what your after remove the resonator. That will probably give you what your looking for as well as save you a few bucks. The straight pipe they sell at 3800 perf. is way over priced. You could have one fabed up at a exhaust house for half of what they sell theirs for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I doubt a muffler change is going to make more power on your combination. Are you sure the exhaust is actually holding you back. Unless you are sub 3" on the pulley, cammed, 75mm TB, ported blower, intake and heads. I doubt you are outflowing the exhaust. What set up are you running? Lets see if it is holding you back? If you want to go faster, you may need more motor. If you want to make more noise, then mufflers will do that.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
You could remove the cat if you want, you will probably gain a couple ponies at the most and it will make your exhaust flow alittle better. I am sure the sound would change, but I doubt it will get drastically louder from removing the cat. Does it have a resonator? If it does removing it will give the exhaust a little extra rumble (like Tom metioned). Also changing to a larger diameter downpipe will give you a few ponies and some have a high flow cat built into them, so that would probably be your best bet. They are around $200. HTH ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts