3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Grand Prix GTP, and I want to install an exhaust thats got a loud, deep throaty sound and that will increase my horsies. Gimme some help.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The best you'll see as far as HP increase with any cat back system is about 8-10 horse. All will improve the sound over stock at throttle increase. The cabin droan is what seems to be the difference among the different aftermarket exhaust suppliers. I run a Borla. They seem to be a bit louder overall, and the cabin droan is most noticable at 40-50 mph. But, as far as performance increases go they're all about the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have Magnaflow mufflers and I love them :D Very nice deep sound and at WOT it sounds sweet. 90 bucks a piece for the mufflers. Unless your going to upgrade the size of the piping I would just go with mufflers, will save cost and thats where all the sound is anyway. Also make sure you remove the Ubend and have them take out the Resinator as well, give you a little more sound. Hope that helps some

·
Banned
165 Posts
For deep and throaty, I like the SLP Loudmoth series. It's throaty!

--Chris

·
Registered
441 Posts
I run an stainless SLP cat-back (Magnaflow muffler) along with a Magnaflow straight through round for a resonator. It sounds nice and mellow with a deep "small V8" tone and near zero drone on the road.

Generaly, a resonator will help kill drone and higher piched (raspy) noise and let the deeper tones through.

It all depends on what you want. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
97_GTP said:
I want to install an exhaust thats got a loud, deep throaty sound and that will increase my horsies. Gimme some help.
As already stated, HP gains in the range of 8-12 (or whatever) are probably what you can expect. I didn't notice much of a difference in HP at all when I built my exhaust and the car was stock, however, the sound was GREAT :D . Keeping in mind that 8-12 HP in a 3500 lb car is like an extra passenger on the Titanic. LOL

First I built a full 2.5" 'dueled' Stainless system from the Stock cat back, running through a set of Borlas', W/the res and u-bend (at the time), and it was nice and deep, but not raspy with very little drone (NOT what I wanted :mad: ). I then scrapped the RES and it got a 'little' more raspy, but not too bad. After I rebuilt the motor, I'm now running the SLP Headers with a high flow cat, NO U-bend etc. It's pretty damn good now I must say, but sometimes just not enough.......LOL.

I haven't heard it, but I hear the LOUDMOUTH system is nice, as Chris says. I've thought of swapping my Borlas for something a little less 'tame' like a Magnaflow, or Flowmaster etc. I must say, Borla builds a beautiful muffler, but it keeps my twisted 6 a little quiet sometimes. :p

If you wanted to safe a few $'s, check out a shop that may' build you a custom system. It's all stainless now anyway, and just order whatever muffler you want.

Have fun!

Ross :)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
MikeGS said:
I run an stainless SLP cat-back (Magnaflow muffler) along with a Magnaflow straight through round for a resonator. It sounds nice and mellow with a deep "small V8" tone and near zero drone on the road.

Generaly, a resonator will help kill drone and higher piched (raspy) noise and let the deeper tones through.

It all depends on what you want. I hope this helps.
I am looking to do an exhaust this spring and using a straight through round in place of the resonator crossed my mind. I'm glad to see others did this and it works well. I want some more power from it but mostly looking for better sound without the dreaded drone. I drive it every day so I want it to sound good without being annoying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat as alot of you guys are. I want to replace my mufflers with a different brand. Want a nice sounding muffler, not some ricer sound. I've had Mustangs in the past with Flowmasters and the interior drone drove me nuts. Sounded good, but for long road trips it was complete hell.

I drive my car a lot and want a deep, throaty sound without the raspy effect. I'm torn between the Dynomax, Magnaflow, or the GMPP setup. I want to remove the u-bend and have the mufflers installed. I think I'm going to leave the resonator in place for the interior noise factor.

I agree that the catback should be reserved for heavily modded cars. I don't think you'll see much of a gain for the prices. I'm just wanting some sound to hear when I give it some peddle. What do you guys recommend as far as mufflers are concerned? I know this issue has been beaten to death, so please forgive me.

I'm a newbie to this board, but post quite a bit on clubGP. Not new to cars though. Look forward to getting to know you guys here.

Andy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any Idea's?

hey iam new at this and was wondering if any one had suggestions on and exhaust? i am looking toward deleting the resonator, and getting rid of the u bend while the exhaust is off. would it be easier to just put a full straight pipe instead of doing all that cutting and welding?
oh yeah iam looking at the gmpp cat back or the dynomax cat back. which one would you prefer? very open to opinions!!
i want my car to scream at full throttle :) i had my friend drive by me the other day at WOT and you dont even hear the exhaust!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts